Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gear change question 3:21 to 4:10

Old 05-08-2017, 01:19 PM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy
A non selectable locker causes issues not a truetrac limited slip.
As a follow up for anyone who chances across this thread, traction devices that cause "drag" between the wheels (and a locked axle like a Detroit Locker creates under power certainly counts as drag) will freak a JK traction control system. This includes all auto lockers and clutch type limited slips.

Because a TrueTrac is a mechanical unit that works off of "helical gears" to transfer power, the transition between the wheels is smooth like an open carrier, creating no drag between the wheels that the ABS sensors can pick up. What a TrueTrac does is transfer power to a wheel that is losing traction, which if you're on the street means your breaking a tire lose, engaging your traction control anyway. They are great offload and will some know how, a pair of TrueTracs can work nearly as well as a pair of lockers with practice.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:59 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I changed from 3.21 to 4.10 in February. I went with Yukon kits, Truetrac in rear and open carrier in front. All were from Northridge. Reused spider gears. I am very pleased. I thought about front Truetrac but decided to not spend any more than necessary on D30.
Old 05-08-2017, 05:58 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trail Jeeps

What a TrueTrac does is transfer power to a wheel that is losing traction, which if you're on the street means your breaking a tire lose, engaging your traction control anyway.

Contrary to popular belief, which I've seen communicated incorrectly on more than 1 occasion, is that Eaton's Detroit Trutrac actually transfers power to the wheel with the HIGHEST traction.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 6.38.49 PM.png
Views:	94
Size:	312.6 KB
ID:	671342

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 6.41.42 PM.png
Views:	82
Size:	290.7 KB
ID:	671343

---> Detroit Trutrac Differential, Helical Gear Limited Slip Differential - Vehicle - Eaton

Even the OEM Trac-Lok limited slip works in the same manner up until the clutch packs wear out and now you basically have a POS open diff.

The great thing about the Truetrac for the rear, is that it is always reliable. No stuck locker engagement that you always seem to hear about from those running the Rubi-lockers and no potential air-line failures for the ARB. Actually, according to Eaton, the Detroit Truetrac has the lowest % of failures in all of Eaton's product line. Pretty amazing especially when you consider that there are many 600HP+ vehicles running it.

I do run an ARB in my front 44 and am awaiting delivery on the rear XD60 with the Truetrac.

Old 05-09-2017, 03:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Truetracs at work

Since its on topic, I figured I would eliminate any confusion on how well a TT functions. The link below will take you to a video from this past weekends event my club hosted. That s me behind the wheel of my 2014 JK with front and rear TT. They lock up every time. Also the myth about them not working when a tire is in the air, not true. You can clearly see all my tires continue to dig, even when my drivers side front leaves the ground. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/vYobEmWPTYg
Old 05-09-2017, 08:54 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tarpon4me
Since its on topic, I figured I would eliminate any confusion on how well a TT functions. The link below will take you to a video from this past weekends event my club hosted. That s me behind the wheel of my 2014 JK with front and rear TT. They lock up every time. Also the myth about them not working when a tire is in the air, not true. You can clearly see all my tires continue to dig, even when my drivers side front leaves the ground. Enjoy!

Nice vid!

Now I'm really glad I decided to go with it for my rear setup. It didn't make much sense shelling $960+ for a rear selectable that basically sees minimal use even when offroad IMO. For more of a dedicated trail rig, I get it but for a DD.....

Old 05-09-2017, 10:18 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tarpon4me

This is a great video, everyone who doesn't get how effective a TrueTrac can be should watch this. It does want to transfer power to the highest traction wheel, but it requires contact on both wheels to properly load the unit, which is why it is so seamless on the road. You can see the effect here when this guy's wheel is off the ground, the unloaded tire does want to spin. You can see it trying to load up the wheel on the ground, but it takes a little bit of oomph to get to to transfer power. There are situations I've seen where one wheel is stuffed and the other wheel is in the air. The TT wants to transfer pretty much everything to the free tire BUT if you load up the brakes in that scenario, it'll move the power to the loaded wheel very effectively and get you out.

Fun story, my dad and I built this amazing rusty bucket of an XJ. We ran the Dana 30 with 4.88 gears and a TrueTrac for years, and we flogged the XJ on 35" tires. When the Dana 30 finally gave out after years of abuse, we installed a Dana 44 out of an F250 High Boy in the front, and we could have thrown anything in there. With the Detroit in the rear, we decided the TrueTrac worked so well that we might as well put one in the new D44 where it has been ever since. No air lines, no hassle, the thing just works.

Quick Reply: gear change question 3:21 to 4:10