JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Gear install (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/gear-install-22452/)

Capown 12-08-2007 07:34 AM

Gear install

:thinking: Ok soo no where have I read that people are installing there own gears. After about 5-6 hours tearing down the rear end in my 4dr we found that you need a special puller from Dana to pull one lil freakin piece of plastic out of driveshaft. WTF?!?!? Ne1 have this that I can rent and send back??

00pumpkin 12-08-2007 07:43 AM

Plastic piece out of the driveshaft? Got any pics? Why after 5-6 hours were you just pulling the d-shaft?

john98026 12-08-2007 08:00 AM

What??? You need a puller to remove the pinion flange but nothing special. Get one at your local auto parts store. Other than that, you will need a dial indicator, caliper and a couple of different torque wrenches and, a big a** breaker bar to crush the crush collar.

rubimonster 12-08-2007 08:54 AM

you have more balls than I. everything I've heard, this is one thing you want to leave for the professionals. I wish you luck now that you've got it all torn down. Keep us updated how difficult it truly is.

RubiconOrdie 12-08-2007 10:08 AM

x2

I've heard that too. It's beyond my capability and tools, plus with lockers I'm told there are some close tolerances. Let us know how it goes, you'll be a technical expert by the time your done.

IGOFSHN 12-08-2007 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Capown (Post 257753)
:thinking: Ok soo no where have I read that people are installing there own gears. After about 5-6 hours tearing down the rear end in my 4dr we found that you need a special puller from Dana to pull one lil freakin piece of plastic out of driveshaft. WTF?!?!? Ne1 have this that I can rent and send back??

If it took you 5 hours to tear down a d44, then you need to stop and let someone else do the work.

Capown 12-11-2007 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by IGOFSHN (Post 257838)
If it took you 5 hours to tear down a d44, then you need to stop and let someone else do the work.

Thats a exaderation on time, only took about an hour to tear down the rest was trying to figure WTF to do on the flang. the 44 in our jeep is dif. from others we dont have C clips and crap like that. :thinking:

To the other comments my friend worked at a ring and pinion shop and has done plenty of gears its just we couldnt find a puller for that shaft(not sure what the heck its called) I called my worthless stealership and they wont help at all nor let me talk to a tech:naw: . If you know what the tool looks like or a name/ part number so I can get it localy please let me know asap...:yup:

Capown 12-11-2007 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by john98026 (Post 257773)
What??? You need a puller to remove the pinion flange but nothing special. Get one at your local auto parts store. Other than that, you will need a dial indicator, caliper and a couple of different torque wrenches and, a big a** breaker bar to crush the crush collar.

Do you know what your talking about? :crazyeyes: Have you done this? They dont just sell or rent a pinion flange puller for our jeeps there is no U joint to pull out its just a shaft you have to pull from the inside from what my friend seen.:yup:

Capown 12-11-2007 06:39 AM

dont know of a shop here in corpus christi that can do it :naw:

The_Captain 12-11-2007 08:09 AM

Sorry

Man I wish I could help but I don't know anything about all that crap.... maybe call a dealership out of Corpus to see if they know what the hell they are talking about... Any pics would help of course..... good luck.