Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gear oil in ARB diff covers

Old 07-15-2009, 07:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear oil in ARB diff covers

So I chose ARB because I liked the fill hole on the top which did make filling the diffs up much smoother.

I would like to know how many quarts/liters of oil you put in yours, if ya got em.

When I filled them up the first time, I put over 3 quarts in to match the previous fill line. However, I added more (just to test it) and now have almost 4 quarts in there and none has come out the breather hose yet.

Any problem with extra in there as long as its not spitting it out? I figure that more = better cooling and I don't believe that there would be a frothing issue as with overfilling the engine. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Too much diff oil

If You have to much diff oil you can blow your wheel bearing seals along with you pinion seals.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:29 PM
JK Super Freak

When I took my ARB covers off and replaced them I noted how high the oil in the rear had to go to put some oil down each axle tube and made a mark on the housing. When I filled them I put in the exact amount called for - as I recall 1 3/4 quarts in the front and 2 3/4 in the rear. Comparing where it was to my marks I added a little bit more. I'm at 3 qts in the rear ans 2 quarts in front. I think this is the right amount for the ARB covers. I don't think I'd go much beyond that.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chuck45
I'm at 3 qts in the rear ans 2 quarts in front. I think this is the right amount for the ARB covers. I don't think I'd go much beyond that.
Would not go much beyond that because?

It will come out the breather if there is too much? It didn't happen yet.

It will blow the seals? Has anyone overfilled their diffs and had this happen rather than the breathers coming into play.

Quick Reply: Gear oil in ARB diff covers