Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gearing and axle question

Old 01-23-2013, 10:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gearing and axle question

so i need someone who knows alot about this . i am making the jump from stock to 4 in lift with 37s. now i have the stock 3:21 gears and im not sure if i should go with the 4:88 or 5:13. how much do gears cost? wherres a good place to but them and how much does it cost to install? next question is my front axle how much will it cost to beef that up ? planning on doing this the right way by re gearing and beefing up axle before lift and tires due to everyone i seem to see does it backwards and has major issues. any help would be much appriciated and if theres anything else you can think of to help me along with this project id love to hear !!!
Old 01-23-2013, 10:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Noticed you have multiple threads on your future build. But you never answered how you truthfully plan to use your rig. Maybe you should consider going to a good off road builder, giving them $10,000 and turning them loose. It's hard to give suggestions if you can't tell us how and where you plan to wheel. Mudder? Crawler? Overlander? Will you complain about mpg after a simple mod like removing the air dam? I know it can get exciting to build our dream beast, but there are always trade offs.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:21 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BlackRockBurner
Noticed you have multiple threads on your future build. But you never answered how you truthfully plan to use your rig. Maybe you should consider going to a good off road builder, giving them $10,000 and turning them loose. It's hard to give suggestions if you can't tell us how and where you plan to wheel. Mudder? Crawler? Overlander? Will you complain about mpg after a simple mod like removing the air dam? I know it can get exciting to build our dream beast, but there are always trade offs.
sorry it is my main vehicle but i dont drive far with it id still like to be able to jump on the highway with it if need be and as for mpg i dont want 8 mpg but i know there will be a big loss in that field which im ok with. as for wheeling and such i would be doing mild wheeling nothing extreme trail runs with a local jeep club some mudding again nothing extreme deff will be on the beach.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:32 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by xshanexmurrayx
so i need someone who knows alot about this . i am making the jump from stock to 4 in lift with 37s. now i have the stock 3:21 gears and im not sure if i should go with the 4:88 or 5:13. how much do gears cost? wherres a good place to but them and how much does it cost to install? next question is my front axle how much will it cost to beef that up ? planning on doing this the right way by re gearing and beefing up axle before lift and tires due to everyone i seem to see does it backwards and has major issues. any help would be much appriciated and if theres anything else you can think of to help me along with this project id love to hear !!!
2007-2011, get 5.13 gears. 2012+ get 4.88 gears.

You say you want to do it right, get a complete kit with 8 control arms and both adj track bars. Be sure and also have a dropped pitman arm or Draglink Flip kit. Springs and Shocks go whatever brand you feel like, we all have a different opinion on which one (go Rough Country, what I use) hehe.

Shop around your local shops. Gears with install for both axles will total you $1000-$1500, depending on region and shop.

With the 37"s, i would suggest D44 up front, stock rear D44 will be fine. You can get a Rubicon take off front axle, or go Dynatrac PR44 or Teraflex D44 front.

Definitely get new driveshaft for front, rear is suggested. 1310 Driveshaft is normal upgrade.

Gussets at the minimum. Sleeves preferable also for axles.

Chromoly or some other new axle shafts.

And you'll be good. I think I covered it all.

Northridge 4x4 and Quadratec are both venders here that sell pretty much everything. But be smart and shop around on prices.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xshanexmurrayx

sorry it is my main vehicle but i dont drive far with it id still like to be able to jump on the highway with it if need be and as for mpg i dont want 8 mpg but i know there will be a big loss in that field which im ok with. as for wheeling and such i would be doing mild wheeling nothing extreme trail runs with a local jeep club some mudding again nothing extreme deff will be on the beach.
With mild trails, running big 37s are overkill. 31s can overcome the Rubicon Trail. Want and need will cost you a few thousand. If you can afford it, go for it. Suggest going to a Jeep with the build you want and try mundane things like climbing up into the rig, see if you can live with that on a daily basis. See if your passengers can live with that.
If you are the lucky with bottomless pockets, bypass building up axels and just get the hardcore axels. Be ready to drop some serious cash.

Last edited by BlackRockBurner; 01-23-2013 at 11:16 AM.

Quick Reply: gearing and axle question