Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

General Grabber (Red Letter DOT)

Old 02-22-2011, 06:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default General Grabber (Red Letter DOT)

Alright guys, I am about to drop $1,500 on a tire I honestly don't know much about. I have read every article/forum post I can find and can not seem to get many answers. I am requesting ANY info, even if you have had these for 5 miles, PLEASE GIVE ME SOMETHING!!! Lol, if you cant tell I am getting desperate!

I know they are a relatively new tire, but someone on here has to have some decent mileage on a set, or at least know someone who does! How do they ware? How are they off road? I have read so many things in magazines/write ups and they all seem to be contradictory! How is the road noise? Again I hear things like "they are quieter than my stock tires" to "well they aren't the loudest m/t's we have ever driven..." A straight answer would be fabulous!

Also, how about weight? I mean they are one of the heaviest tires I have seen, how does our little 3.8 handle them? What happens to gas mileage?

I apologize for the rant, but I am frustrated/confused/nervous.

*oh yea, pics would be cool to!

Thanks,
Josh
Old 02-23-2011, 11:30 AM
JK Newbie

I have 100 miles on a set of 35X12.50 R18's and so far I am really happy. The first thing I noticed as how quiet they are. I had Pro-Comp Extreme AT's on there before these tires and its night and day as far as noise. I swear they sound like a car tire. The fact that they are brand new may have something to do with that but I have had everything from mud tires to AT tires and I have never had one this quiet. I cant really tell you much on performance because I have not had a chance to do anything with them yet. I have a flashpaq and after programming the new tire size in, I am happy with the results that the whimpy 3.8 are giving me in normal day to day driving. My plans to re-gear are on hold now until I tow the Sea Doo's this summer and see what that holds. As for weight, you are right. They are heavy but one thing that I noticed is that once you get rolling you tend to stay rolling if you know what I mean. Almost like a semi-cruise control. I have not used a tank of gas yet but the MPG read out on the dash actually hovers around 18. I hope this helps.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've put about 1000 miles on mine so far. Low hum on road, louder when at a slow roll. They are louder than the stock Duelers I had on before. They are heavy. I lost a couple of mpgs; but also have heavy Hutchinson Rock Monsters. They balanced well. No more than 4 ounces on any of the 5 tires. I haven't put them in the mud r on the rocks yet but they handle great on the street even when wet. Overall I am very happy with them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-2.jpg
Views:	2837
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	130414Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-1.jpg
Views:	1515
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	130415Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	1674
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	130416
Old 02-23-2011, 05:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thank you both so much for the in depth responses! I feel a lot better about this decision! I found them online for a ridiculously low price, so I am considering pulling the trigger soon!
Old 02-23-2011, 05:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My sister ran the non-DOT versions on her Rubi, and loved them. She said they did great in the snow too. (She lives in Utah)

The DOT version is the same as what she had.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

They look good.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:28 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by An0maly
Thank you both so much for the in depth responses! I feel a lot better about this decision! I found them online for a ridiculously low price, so I am considering pulling the trigger soon!
Care to share your source?
Old 02-23-2011, 06:59 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by An0maly
Alright guys, I am about to drop $1,500 on a tire I honestly don't know much about. I have read every article/forum post I can find and can not seem to get many answers. I am requesting ANY info, even if you have had these for 5 miles, PLEASE GIVE ME SOMETHING!!! Lol, if you cant tell I am getting desperate!

I know they are a relatively new tire, but someone on here has to have some decent mileage on a set, or at least know someone who does! How do they ware? How are they off road? I have read so many things in magazines/write ups and they all seem to be contradictory! How is the road noise? Again I hear things like "they are quieter than my stock tires" to "well they aren't the loudest m/t's we have ever driven..." A straight answer would be fabulous!

Also, how about weight? I mean they are one of the heaviest tires I have seen, how does our little 3.8 handle them? What happens to gas mileage?

I apologize for the rant, but I am frustrated/confused/nervous.

*oh yea, pics would be cool to!

Thanks,
Josh
i feel your pain man i've been searching every where for something on these tires.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:03 PM
JK Super Freak

have only heard great things about them. On my other forum there is a post that is extremely long talking about how good they are
Old 02-23-2011, 07:08 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$1500 seems high. Is the price for either 5 tires or a tire/wheel package?

I've heard they are good tires. I was offered these tires (4 - 35's) for $600 -yes brand new!

If you haven't bought them, I suggest you try 4-Wheel Parts Wholesalers if they are near you to get a comptetive estimate. Shop around if you have the chance or time to do so.

$1500/4 = $375 a tire. I paid $386/tire one week ago for 38/14.50/17 new MT/R kevlars.

Quick Reply: General Grabber (Red Letter DOT)