Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gobi stealth and soft top

Old 05-22-2014, 02:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gobi stealth and soft top

So I have my gobi stealth rack installed on my 2012 unlimited and have given up on trying to get ride of the wind noise. I have pool noodles and pipe insolation everywhere, I also bout the addition wind deflectors that go in the light bar. Nothing works, moving on. I was removing the soft top yesterday for the first time since installing the rack and ran into problems. After I unclipped the front of the top and tried to pull it back the top was hitting on the light bar and would not come up. I tried pulling back on the light bar, pulling it towards the front bumper, but there didn't give it enough clearance. Beyoncé the bottom of the light bar it looks like it is also going to catch on the bolts. So at this point it looks like the only way I can get the top down is to pull the whole rack off. I was planning on doing that anyway since I would like to save my eardrums and the 2 mpg I have been losing with it, but still I know there has to be a better way. Great rack, love the way it's built but I only use it a couple times a year so I need to make it work better for me and this is part of that process. Aft help would be great....thanks.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:05 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Davidcd
Beyoncé the bottom of the light bar it looks like it is also going to catch on the bolts....

Damn autocorrect... Kidding aside, welcome to the forum. I love the way the racks look on the Jeeps, but the wind noise would drive me crazy. Have you contacted Gobi regarding the clearance issue?
Old 05-23-2014, 07:29 AM
JK Newbie

I didn't even see the auto correct!!!!

No I have not contacted Gobi, I emailed and called them back in Jan before I bought the rack to ask about replacement hardware but they never returned either. I am happy with the rack like I said but the customer service is lacking based on my interaction. I was really looking for community support on this since I know plenty of people have taken the top off with the rack on so I am assuming it is something simple I am missing (like Beyoncé vs beyond)
Old 05-23-2014, 08:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cheated on this. I bought these:

Bestop 51290-01 - Bestop Quick Release Bow Knuckles for 97-14 Jeep® Wrangler TJ, JK & Unlimited - Quadratec

Now i just pull the connectors and slide my whole soft top straight out the back. Way faster then pulling the bolts on the front since i have my limb risers going to them. I do have to remove the ladder but it is 3 easy fast bolts. Plus the jeep looks better with no top on at all then folded back.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:11 AM
JK Newbie

Love the idea and I just bout a spiderweb shade from qtech, should have tossed those in the cart. I think I am just going to pull the rack this weekend and be done with it till the winter. I have a garage gator I am going to mount in the ceiling so I can take the rack off as a one man operation and put it on as a one man operation. Will just drop the top for now, but I am sure I will end up pulling it off all together will need need to find a place to store it.

Quick Reply: Gobi stealth and soft top