Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Got the 42" XMitter bar - Pics!

Old 03-10-2008, 11:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got the 42" XMitter bar - Pics!

Okay - so this light bar was waiting for me when I woke up (work nights). This is the Vision X XMitter LED bar, which you can order from some of the fine vendors here. Anyways - this thing had 80 3-watt LED;s and puts out a whopping 14,400 lumens!!! If you don't realize how bright that is, just picture the off-road HID lights found on Baja trucks (and my Jeep). Those put out about 3500 lumens each. So, it is more powerful than 4 off-road HID lights!

These have a lifetime warrantee and each bulb has a life expectancy of 262,000 hours. This is the equavalent of letting this bar run for 29.90 years. So the warrantee is good indeed.

Anyways, this thing is solid and well built. HEre are some photos for now... I will not be able to post beam shots for four days. Iwill tell you, however, I took this in my pitch black garage, hooked it up to a 12v battery and let it rip - Holy Sweet Jesus is all I can say.

Until the beamshots, here it is laying on the hood of my Jeep:

Old 03-10-2008, 12:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wow I wanna see these things in a night shot. Ill be watching this thread for sure. Thats one unique looking light bar. Kinda reminds me of the leds found in modern police lights only on steroids.

Update: I justed looked up the prices of those things and damn! I think ill be sticking to normal bulb lights for now. That bar cost as much as a decent lift.

Last edited by JKmike07; 03-10-2008 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jkdrone
Holy f$%@# that thing is expensive! I think I could cover my vehicle with KC's and still walk away with cash in my pocket =)

Is it really worth it?

!c
The math says:

1 42" xmitter = 12 KC slimlines

All this at 20 amp draw and never having to worry about bulbs burning out.

Whether this is true, we'll have to see - if I can see... I think I burned out my retinas showing my wife.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$1599 ? thats alotta pesos
Old 03-10-2008, 12:25 PM
JK Super Freak

that thing is nuts.
are you putting it on your rack?
i cant wait for the night shots
Old 03-10-2008, 12:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hold on to your hats, boys, we're entering into a new and "improved" world.

Points to keep in mind:
1. KCs are completely overpriced (can match the performance for half the price)
2. This light bar is waaay too expensive for my budget
3. Most trail-riding Jeepers don't use KCs for the trail anyway cause they blind everyone (can you say rock-lights and low-watt floods?)
4. Flip-side: you never have enough light blasting through the desert at speed (you just have to stay far away from your buddy's Jeep) - ProComp 8's work great for this.
5. VCRs once cost over $1,000 in the early '80s, and camcorders were the size of golden retrievers. Now no one wants VCRs and camcorders fit in your palm (golden's don't).

My prediction:
1. Halogen may go the way of Poloroid film
2. This new crop of JK owners will probably end up with a couple of small LED offroad lights in the next few years (dumping the KCs in the trash).

I love the lights on my CJ. 8" ProComp rounds (dual use but plenty bright), $20 Harbour Freight 5" driving lights (great for trail!!!!). When LEDs become sensible, I'll add a couple small ones to my JK.

As for Mr. dugn8r, we owe him thanks for being the pioneer for us.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:33 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So when are you gonna turn it on?
Old 03-10-2008, 02:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It looks and sounds very functional albeit expensive. May I ask what you will be using it for?
Old 03-10-2008, 03:07 PM
JK Freak

For LED lights, $1600 for 14,400 lumens is pretty cheap-- 9 lumens per dollar. Compare that to Enlux household bulbs at 4.5 lumens per dollar or Color Kinetics ColorBlast 12 RGB lights at 1 lumen per dollar.

I only hope their mechanical and electrical engineering is up to snuff. That's a lot of heat to remove in a relatively small space and a lot of current to regulate over what I'm sure is a very wide operating temperature range.

-Glen
Old 03-10-2008, 03:14 PM
JK Freak

Wow, to all of that.

Quick Reply: Got the 42" XMitter bar - Pics!