Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Got some new 285s

Old 01-18-2015, 09:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got some new 285s

I just put on some 285/70/17 Firestone Destinations and couldn't be happier...except there is a slight rub when making tight turns. I'm not looking to do anything too extreme for now and just wanted a cost effective solution for now. Would a small 1.5 lift kit work? Should I use coil spacers, leveling kit, etc.? Appreciate any feedback and curious what else I would have to after the mods. Thanks!
Old 01-18-2015, 09:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1.5" wheel adapters/spacers.
Remove any/all factory retaining clips on the studs before installing wheel adapters/spacers.
Torque to spec with blue loctite.
Check torque every tire rotation.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:13 AM
JK Newbie

I am thinking about the same tire setup.
What is the shell backspacing that you bought
Old 01-19-2015, 11:58 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rckaltenhauser
I am thinking about the same tire setup. What is the shell backspacing that you bought
I am running ultra 238B Gauntlet wheels on them. I bought the wheels off tire buyer (link below)

http://www.tirebuyer.com/wheels/ultr...4#.VL1vj4o8LCR
Old 01-19-2015, 11:59 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Chefbrujo
1.5" wheel adapters/spacers. Remove any/all factory retaining clips on the studs before installing wheel adapters/spacers. Torque to spec with blue loctite. Check torque every tire rotation.
Thanks for the help I'm going to do the 1.5... Do I need the springs or can I buy the package without? What's the difference in the two?
Old 01-19-2015, 12:05 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepballer13
I just put on some 285/70/17 Firestone Destinations and couldn't be happier...except there is a slight rub when making tight turns. I'm not looking to do anything too extreme for now and just wanted a cost effective solution for now. Would a small 1.5 lift kit work? Should I use coil spacers, leveling kit, etc.? Appreciate any feedback and curious what else I would have to after the mods. Thanks!
For about 25 cents you can add a thin washer to the steering stops and eliminate the slight rub at full steer. See the pic of where to add the washer here -- https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-s...-build-309062/ , about midway down under "Tires". Congrats on the new tires, same size on mine.

Side note: Adding 1.5" wheel spaces looked like it would cause the tires to rub the stock fenders at full articulation (with stock bump stops and sway-bar disconnected) on mine. Using a tape measure at full tilt, 1.5" further out put the tires into the fender lip.

Last edited by Mr.T; 01-19-2015 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:30 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I am running ultra 238B Gauntlet wheels on them. I bought the wheels off tire buyer (link below)
Which specific rims did you buy? Find the offset on those rims and convert it to backspace, that will tell you how far in/out of the wheel wells the tires are sitting. (as the tire size increases, you want to move them further out. The reason should be fairly obvious...)

Thanks for the help I'm going to do the 1.5... Do I need the springs or can I buy the package without? What's the difference in the two?
You are confusing two different things. He was telling you about 'wheel' spacers. (take the tires off, bolt a spacer on, then bolt the rim to the spacer). You keep thinking about lifting using 'coil' spacers or taller coils. This may work, or it may not. Better bet is moving the tires out further, or adding washers to the steer stops (which will limit the turn radius), and maybe also trimming the fenders.

Sucks, but you bought the wrong rims. You wanted a lower offset/backspace...

Quick Reply: Got some new 285s