Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Granatelli MPG Plug Wires - Bosch Fusion IRs

Old 08-19-2009, 06:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by A/C Guy
You are comparing apples to oranges here. Your problem was due to the input voltage; a primary side issue. They are talking about the secondary side; output side. A coil is a transformer. The total output is measured in KVA. Going to 0 ohm wires will not short out or over load the coil. The spark still has to make the jump across the spark plug gap, that is enough resistance to limit the load on the coil. The only drawback to 0 ohm wires is you will get radio interference. Just like the other post stated. The engineers know the only way to stop the static interference is to add a resistor. That is why they haven't and won't call back. That is also the reason car manufacturers always use cheap quality, high resistance wires; they are quieter, no RF issues. Straight wires are cheaper to make, but you will always get RF static.
Yes you are correct that my example of primary voltage was not exactly the same, even though the end result would be the same. A ignition coil is basically an AC transformer(I know its in a DC circuit, or is it?). Lowering the resistance on the secondary will cause a higher KVA draw through the coil. To measure a transformers impedence or resistance to power flow, you usually short out the secondary and raise the primary voltage till you get rated current. On distribution transformer for example its about 5-10% of rated voltage. Now with that in mind if your short the secondary and applied rated voltage to the primary you will get many times rated current on the secondary and if left on will very quicky destroy the transformer.

Yes there is a certain "Resistance" for lack of a better word, at the spark gap. However once the spark ionizes the air and jumps the resistance will drop to practically nothing. At this point with "Zero" resistance wires there is nothing limiting the amount of current that will be allowed to flow as the field in the coil collapses. This will cause the spark to burn hotter, with more energy, and maintain longer. This is where the performance gains come from. You can't get more power at the plug without pulling that extra power though the coil.

The only question is how well built is the stock coil. Can it handle the extra power draw? Can't answer that without the design Data of the coil. My gut feeling is it won't cause it to fail outright. However it will most likely shorten its life by a few thousand miles.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:06 PM
JK Freak

what is the part number for these wires and where can they be purchased
Old 08-31-2009, 01:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by derff96963
Yes you are correct that my example of primary voltage was not exactly the same, even though the end result would be the same. A ignition coil is basically an AC transformer(I know its in a DC circuit, or is it?). Lowering the resistance on the secondary will cause a higher KVA draw through the coil. ....
But it can never exceed the total KVA of the input side, so failure is not an option.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by roguejk
what is the part number for these wires and where can they be purchased
View Larger MPG/PLUS GAS SAVING IGNITION WIRE SET shown may differ from actual product appearance.Community Links
-Read Product Features

Overall Rating 4 out of 5

Appearance 5 out of 5
Quality/Construction 4 out of 5
Ease of Use/Installation 4 out of 5
Features 4 out of 5
1 of 1 (100%) customers would recommend this product to a friend.
Read all reviews Write a review Share this Product:

-Forward this page to a friend

MPG/PLUS GAS SAVING IGNITION WIRE SET
Price: $67.99Retail: $84.99Leading Discounter: $87.99
Availability: Will SHIP in 5-7 days

MPG/PLUS GAS SAVING IGNITION WIRE SET
Granatelli Performance Ignition Wire Set is GUARANTEED to boost your MPG to 15%!
Boosts horsepower and torque and ensures a smoother running engine
Rates 0-ohm resistance (compare to 4,000-7,000 ohms for conventional wires)
Easy DIY installation
Granatelli's MPG/Plus Performance Ignition Set is an easy way to significantly increase your gas mileage…not a bad idea these days! Also increases horsepower and torque for better engine performance and a more responsive ride. The MPG/Plus Performance Ignition Set features 0-ohm resistance solid stainless steel core wires plus an RFI/EFI Hybrid Protection Ring that prevents stereo noise and allows full coil power to reach the spark plug. The result is full power, a hotter spark, more complete combustion, better fuel efficiency, more power and better overall performance…without replacing the coil! Premium technology throughout: stainless steel inner core for high tensile strength, silver plated copper outer core for high conductivity, EPDM insulation, fiberglass braiding for strength, 500° silicone jacket and boots and heavy-duty stainless steel snap-lock terminals at the spark plug! Meets or exceeds OEM specifications. Limited lifetime warranty.

go to carparts dot com
cut and paste this after the .com
/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Item?storeId=10401&Pr=p_CATENTRY_ID%3A100000526105 14276371&mediaCode=CP&productId=100000526105&appId =10000052610514276371&catalogId=10618&langId=-1

I can't post the link because they are not a sponsor of the site
(got spanked for that offense last weekend )
Old 08-31-2009, 01:34 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't give a shit who makes what, I'm leavin my ignition ALONE. After the E3 plugs settin codes, I'm done in that area. I'm leavin mine stock.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

FYI, When I ordered my wires, the price in the shopping cart changed to $79.95. Finish the order and then immediately call their customer service to fix it. They are aware of the programming problem and they fix the prices immediately and charge you the proper amount when the product ships. Also, they are giving free shipping on those wires.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by A/C Guy
But it can never exceed the total KVA of the input side, so failure is not an option.
What is stopping the extra energy at the input side?

I work with transformer for a living (I am an Electrical Engineer) and you can very easily pull more KVA through a transformer than its rated for. The only limit is the impedance of the coil. The impedance would have to be 100% or 1 per unit to limit the KVA at rated voltage. I just don't see how that would make any sense.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:12 AM
JK Freak

I went to that website " carparts.com " and it said this product not available for your vehicle.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BadTime
I tend to doubt the gains from this kind of stuff, but I am surprised at the resistance variation in the plug wires. That would truly have to be some low quality wire. Any chance you were not getting good measurements?
i was always told in trade school that 7500ohms per foot of wire is the most you want to see any more and its time for new ones.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:15 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by D'sjk
They are on 4wheelparts and or 4wd
Thanx brother, found em at 4wd.com

Quick Reply: Granatelli MPG Plug Wires - Bosch Fusion IRs