Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Hand Throttle?

Old 04-23-2007, 04:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hand Throttle?

Has anyone here attempted to add a hand throttle to their JK yet. I had one on the TJ and it came in hand many a time on the rocks, and while doing recovery with the winch to keep the RPMs up, also when I let the TJ sit to long and it needed a jump and throttle to keep it idling.
I've been thinking of making a hand throttle my first mod, due to it's relatively inexpensiveness. Anyone put any thoughts to this, since the throttle at the intake is controlled by electric and not a regular throttle cable(unless I'm looking in the spot) . Is there a throttle cable anywhere?
Old 04-23-2007, 04:22 PM
JK Jedi Master

The JK's throtle is electronic. You may have a more difficult time doing this than with the TJ. You would need some type of electronic controller to regulate the throtle.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

that's what I was thinking if it was electronic. An open circuit would be no throttle, and a variable resistance would produce a climb in voltage, to open up the throttle. It would be easy to piggy back the throttle. The hard part would be controlling the voltage. Anybody got an FSM with the wiring?
Old 04-23-2007, 08:11 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BeerMonkey
technically it would be easy if anyoen could figure out hwo ithe system works it would be aws easy as un pliggin hthe peadl and piggybacking a hand thrttle in
LOL ... WHAT???
Old 04-23-2007, 08:21 PM
JK Freak

technically it would be easy if anyone could figure out how the system works it would be as easy as unpluggin the pedal and piggybacking a hand throttle in
fixed it for you
Old 04-23-2007, 09:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BJeepJK
LOL ... WHAT???

He he, look at his screen name. Looks like the Monkey got in the Beer
Old 09-05-2007, 07:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

bump.......
Old 09-05-2007, 08:18 PM
JK Junkie

technically it would be easy if anyoen could figure out hwo ithe system works it would be aws easy as un pliggin hthe peadl and piggybacking a hand thrttle in
Whoh!!! BeerMonkey needs to change his name to DT'sMonkey!!
Old 09-06-2007, 04:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by POTO
that's what I was thinking if it was electronic. An open circuit would be no throttle, and a variable resistance would produce a climb in voltage, to open up the throttle. It would be easy to piggy back the throttle. The hard part would be controlling the voltage. Anybody got an FSM with the wiring?
I'd probably start with unplugging the pedal and seeing what it's actually doing. Since we are all on the CAN system, it may vary a PWM signal to the throttle controller. Or it may be set up like a stepper motor system. Good idea from Beer Monkey, maybe easy just to buy the pedal interface component, adapt it to a handheld device and plug it in.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:04 AM
JK Freak

I think I saw a thread somewhere where someone had installed one, but can't seem to find it now.

These guys are supposed to have one out soon...

offroadengineering.com

Quick Reply: Hand Throttle?