Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Hard top off with one person

Old 09-05-2013, 06:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The frame is way cool. I solo by removing the freedom panels, unbolting, open tailgate then set two 2x8 ramps from the floor to the ground. I support the weight of the top on my upper back, brace my arms with hands locked above the rear side glass and back down the ramps. Set the top on sawhorses set 5'-0" on center apart and close the lift gate.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can you attach anything to the ceiling above your parking space?

if you can put a few eye bolts into the ceiling, you can do what I do, and use ratchet tiedown straps to lift the top. I only have about 4 inches of clearance above my jeep in my garage, and the straps work just fine for one person to lift and lower the strap. I've been using the same system for 4 jeeps now.

and for the record, I've taken tops off every one of my jeeps by myself, and you should be glad at how crazy light the jk's top is compared to the old CJs tops.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:25 PM
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm a bar? That got me thinking what about one of those huge suction cups? I've seen 600lb aquariums moved by them maybe it will work on a jeep? Well I'm too tired for a full thought so maybe it won't... Oh well

Quick Reply: Hard top off with one person