Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Harsh ride, springs or shocks?

Old 11-27-2013, 11:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harsh ride, springs or shocks?

I am trying to pinpoint on my lift what is causing the stiff ride. Currently i'm running AEV 3.5" springs, Rubicon Express Monotube shocks, AEV front control arm brackets, JKS rear swaybar links, longer front swaybar links, JKS front adjustable track bar, rear trackbar bracket.. Axles are centered and I have Falken 305/65R18 mounted on stock Sahara wheels with spidertrax wheel spacers.. It seriously feels like I have an inch of upward travel.. hitting ruts, potholes, speed bump etc. feel really hard. If I hit a bump hard I feel my tires lose contact with the ground. The Rubicon express monotubes are made by bilstein and are essentially the same as the 5100s. I have stock bumpers, no armour etc. just the lift.. I run around 24-27 psi in my tires as they are e-rated..
Old 11-27-2013, 11:22 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sir_burns
I am trying to pinpoint on my lift what is causing the stiff ride. Currently i'm running AEV 3.5" springs, Rubicon Express Monotube shocks, AEV front control arm brackets, JKS rear swaybar links, longer front swaybar links, JKS front adjustable track bar, rear trackbar bracket.. Axles are centered and I have Falken 305/65R18 mounted on stock Sahara wheels with spidertrax wheel spacers.. It seriously feels like I have an inch of upward travel.. hitting ruts, potholes, speed bump etc. feel really hard. If I hit a bump hard I feel my tires lose contact with the ground. The Rubicon express monotubes are made by bilstein and are essentially the same as the 5100s. I have stock bumpers, no armour etc. just the lift.. I run around 24-27 psi in my tires as they are e-rated..
In your case, it is the combination of AEV springs with out a heavy load (they are designed for AEV bumpers and a front winch), and the load range E tires.

Bilsteins are a little on the stiffer side, but the real issue is the springs designed for very heavy loads. AEV bumpers, with rear containers and a front winch add about 400+ lbs in weight.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:07 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by planman
In your case, it is the combination of AEV springs with out a heavy load (they are designed for AEV bumpers and a front winch), and the load range E tires.

Bilsteins are a little on the stiffer side, but the real issue is the springs designed for very heavy loads. AEV bumpers, with rear containers and a front winch add about 400+ lbs in weight.

That's what i was thinking.. Read a lot of good reviews on these springs. I new to a certain degree that they were stiffer without load, but they are really stiff springs..lol.. They should advertise these things to be only installed with 400+ pounds of extra wieght loaded on the JK
Old 11-27-2013, 01:22 PM
JK Junkie

Honestly, I've installed
- RC 2.5's Friends
- TF 2.5's mine
- RK 2.5's mine
- AEV 2.5's friends

I swear the AEV coils were the easiest to compress and install. Maybe it was the wheaties that morning,, who knows

I am going to guess shocks in your case. The 5100's are pretty firm shocks. If yours are similar to the 5100 and charged the same ..?

Fwiw, I've driven 2 AEV equipped jeeps. Both 2 doors. One with bumpers/skids, the other stock. The heavier jeep did ride better.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:24 PM
JK Junkie

Should of noted ...

I have a 2 door with E rated 35's. Shocks made a huge difference. Even with E tires. I'm running Rancho 7000's with less nitrogen charge than the 5100's.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It will probably ride best with the Bilstein shocks from AEV that are tuned to match the AEV springs.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:38 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Freewill
It will probably ride best with the Bilstein shocks from AEV that are tuned to match the AEV springs.
Not true. There's a fellow recently who bought the AEV 2.5 and Rancho 9000 shocks. Loves the ride.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:25 AM
JK Freak

you could always try OME,, they are known for a more plush ride.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
Not true. There's a fellow recently who bought the AEV 2.5 and Rancho 9000 shocks. Loves the ride.
Not saying that fellow's ride isn't OK, just that the AEV tuned shock/spring combo is one that will give predictably good results, possibly better than his. (This is true of any combo that has been correctlly engineered to work right together.)

Also, one owner's great ride might be a total dud for another owner. That's the great part of modding a Jeep to get what you want.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by big dr
you could always try OME,, they are known for a more plush ride.
Especially when using a coil spring that has a compression rate better suited for the weight being carried.

Quick Reply: Harsh ride, springs or shocks?