Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have questions on 6.4 Hemi swap

Old 07-19-2018, 07:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Have questions on 6.4 Hemi swap

Say I won the junk yard lottery and have a 6.4 hemi with the auto transmission and t-case from a 2013 Jeep SRT now sitting in the storage corner of my garage. I'd like to drop this into my 2007 Rubicon.

I've been searching around and there's quiet a few good kits that provide everything you need to do this, which is awesome. Cause I remember back in 2007 that it was a bitch to do this. Now it seems so easy. I'll have to figure out which kit to go with, but that's not the issue I have questions on. I've got the engine swap part well covered and know what's involved there.

My curiosity is on the transmission and transfer case. For starters I'd like to keep the rubicon transfer case. Because who wouldn't? I'm wondering if it fits the 8 speed that came with the hemi? And that rolls to the next question, can I adapt this transmission to my jeep? Will the ECU be able to control it correctly with programming? Do I need a new/different ECU?

I have an 07 with the auto which means i have the shitty 4 speed. I regret not getting the manual and would love a better transmission. My hatred of the transmission might be due to the engine being a weak snail. Having an 8 speed auto does sound nice. If my current transmission will be fine with the hemi, then I'll keep it and make life easy for the swap. But I doubt it would take the power of the 6.4 for long.

And if the 8 speed I got doesn't work, is there any transmission swap that would work? Is it possible to find a 6 speed auto from the newer JK's and use that instead?

I haven't been able to find any clear answer to this drive line issue of mine. Can someone shed some light on it?
Old 07-19-2018, 08:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by atomicmecha
Say I won the junk yard lottery and have a 6.4 hemi with the auto transmission and t-case from a 2013 Jeep SRT now sitting in the storage corner of my garage. I'd like to drop this into my 2007 Rubicon.

I've been searching around and there's quiet a few good kits that provide everything you need to do this, which is awesome. Cause I remember back in 2007 that it was a bitch to do this. Now it seems so easy. I'll have to figure out which kit to go with, but that's not the issue I have questions on. I've got the engine swap part well covered and know what's involved there.

My curiosity is on the transmission and transfer case. For starters I'd like to keep the rubicon transfer case. Because who wouldn't? I'm wondering if it fits the 8 speed that came with the hemi? And that rolls to the next question, can I adapt this transmission to my jeep? Will the ECU be able to control it correctly with programming? Do I need a new/different ECU?

I have an 07 with the auto which means i have the shitty 4 speed. I regret not getting the manual and would love a better transmission. My hatred of the transmission might be due to the engine being a weak snail. Having an 8 speed auto does sound nice. If my current transmission will be fine with the hemi, then I'll keep it and make life easy for the swap. But I doubt it would take the power of the 6.4 for long.

And if the 8 speed I got doesn't work, is there any transmission swap that would work? Is it possible to find a 6 speed auto from the newer JK's and use that instead?

I haven't been able to find any clear answer to this drive line issue of mine. Can someone shed some light on it?
If it's a 2013 SRT8, it should have the same W5A580 (Mercedes 5G-Tronic) 5 speed auto transmision that is found in the Wrangler JK from 2012-2018 - the gear ratios appear the same and I haven't found any info on changes to handle the increased torque. The 8 speed ZF transmissions were introduced for the 2014 model year for the wk2s and there are a few different versions based on the torque of the engine. As far as compatibility with your 2007, I'd try to find info on how people have upgraded from the old 42LE transmission to the W5A580. To the extent the transfer box has stayed the same through the JK life and you can upgrade the computer or use the SRT computer, there has to be a way to swap the SRT engine and transmission in.

SRT Info - http://wk2jeeps.com/srt8/2013_wk2_sr...ifications.pdf
SRT/Wrangler 2012+ Transmission Info - https://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmi...AG1-WA580.html
Wrangler 2007-2011 Transmission Info - https://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/42LE.html

Hope this was helpful - wish I had experience from doing this type of swap
Old 07-25-2018, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by atomicmecha

Canvas "I would have picked up the ECU off the SRT 8 Jeep that the motor, transmission and transfer case came out of. This will make it a little eaiser to get everything to talk."

See the answer to your question to the ECU.

Quick Reply: Have questions on 6.4 Hemi swap