Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have you installed a PSC?

Old 06-20-2018, 06:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Have you installed a PSC?

I do not want to pay the shop a grand to install this unit. I am looking at the

BIG BORE XD Cylinder Assist Kit

I am not much of a wrench, but I watched the three part video on YouTube. It looks pretty straight forward, but the video does not explain any of the steps.

I am just looking for opinions on how difficult this job will be.

I figure if the shop can do it in 7-8 hours, It would probably take me about 20. I am slow when I don't know what I am doing.

-John

Old 06-20-2018, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

My first question is why that kit? That's designed for 40+ inch tires. (your profile doesn't show 40" tires... going to make some major upgrades?)

As for installing a hydro assist system. I did my own (mine is WTO though). There's nothing difficult about it. You need to pay attention when setting the center for the ram (where it attaches to the tie rod), but if you're using a clamp (that kit has one) it's not so critical (I have tabs welded to my tie rod for the ram).

It also takes quite a bit of patience to bleed the air out of the system.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

I second what jedg said, why that kit? That is extreme overkill for anything under 40's, PSC even states it on their website: "PSC has developed the ultimate steering package for 40" and up tires." Are you still running 31's? It'll completely change the handling characteristics of your Jeep on-road. Even for 37's, the big bore kit is too much. Stock axles? Good luck, you need to run a lot more castor (7*+) which is impossible with the factory JK axles.

If you're running 35-37" tires and are struggling to turn while locked in the rocks...you can't beat the WTO 'kit.' It allows you to pick and choose what you need/want, including the ram size.

Help us help you, provide us with some more information.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:37 AM
JK Freak

Thanks guys.

I have updated my profile to include the way my Jeep is built now. I chose that kit simply because in the past, everything I originally put on my Jeep I have taken off and replaced. Some time in the future, I would like to do an LS swap and increase tire size. I am currently at 37 inch tires. I have Dynatrac 44/60s. I will look at WTO as I am not familiar with them. The shop I use likes to use PSC. That was how I was introduced to them. My steering box has play in it. The shop said it will go bad at some point. So I liked the idea of replacing my pump at the same time. . . . . . . . . . . Well that just hit me. If I swap engines, the stock replacement steering box probably will not work. As it stands now, the engine swap is long ways off, if at all.

Is there a specific kit I from WTO that I should look at?

Thanks,
John
Old 06-21-2018, 11:55 AM
JK Freak

Here's a link to WTOR's hydro assist page, where there's a downloadable order form: https://westtexasoffroad.wixsite.com...hydro-steering

I would pass on the full kit from WTOR, as the lines aren't the best of quality. If I were you I'd send my steering box in to get rebuilt and tapped for hydro:

My plan is to build my own kit using the following:

-Quality high pressure hose from Aeroquip: https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Aeroq...u=106FC3000-10
-Cooler (this really is a must, although some people may tell you otherwise): https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-13254
-(3) -6AN 90* fittings: https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Steel...ree,39154.html
-(2) -6AN 45* fittings: https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Steel...ree,39147.html
-(2) 90* 3/8 hose barb fittings (for the cooler): https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mrg-2966
-Any ram of your choice...although I really wouldn't recommend running a 1.75" bore ram until you make the jump to 40"+ tires. The WTOR ram is good, but for the same price you can grab a 1.5" bore PSC from Northridge (you want a 6" stroke): https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/h...der-assist-kit

Total cost: $755 (including steering box rebuild and tap)

That just about covers it. If your stock pump goes out, or can't handle turning at low RPM's...then grab a PSC high flow pump. When turning at low speeds (e.g. pulling into a parking spot), you may need to bump your RPM's up a little with the stock pump; This is no big deal if you have a 6 speed, I'd just run it till the stock pump went out...then splurge on the PSC.

Hope that was helpful, let me know if you have any more questions.

Last edited by BoraBora; 06-21-2018 at 12:00 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:35 PM
JK Freak

When I look at the WTOF and PSC, I can see a huge difference. I will have to see if I can find some reviews on WTOF. I believe PSC is of good quality and will last a long time. But I am enticed by the how much cheaper the WTOF is.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:38 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,588 Posts

PSC is right here in my back yard pretty much. They make some nice stuff, but it's a bit on the pricey side. Lot of people around me run WTO, but will actually use PSC ram with it, exactly like Bora Bora mentioned above, with good results. For a lot of us budget conscious guys/gals, it's always hard to justify paying such a high price difference for the name. I have not done this yet myself either....it's one of the last things I need to address, but I have always leaned towards what Bora Bora outlined above. It makes the most financial sense to me......you know....unless I will some contest where they're giving away a free PSC setup!
Old 06-21-2018, 01:07 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by prelucir
When I look at the WTOF and PSC, I can see a huge difference. I will have to see if I can find some reviews on WTOF. I believe PSC is of good quality and will last a long time. But I am enticed by the how much cheaper the WTOF is.
Really all you're paying for is the name with the PSC kit. The Aeroquip lines are top notch (IMO better than the PSC), and a cooler is a cooler. The tapped/ported stock steering box is more than sufficient for hydro-assist, so I personally don't see the value in spending the $ on the PSC steering box when you won't notice any difference. Ultimately with a tapped/ported box from WTOR, Aeroquip lines, all the fittings, and a PSC ram...you're saving a ton of money while accomplishing the same task. Even when you factor in the PSC high flow pump, you're still saving a ton of money. Longevity wise, there's plenty of guys on here and JKO that have been running (read: beating the hell out of) their DIY (tapped stock box base) hydro with no issues. Jedg can chime in with more firsthand experience, but if you stumble over to JKO you'll see there's plenty of guys running heavy TWF H1 double beadlocks with military 37's, as well as guys running 40"+ tires...and I have yet to see any reported issues besides the stock steering pump crapping out.

The PSC is nice too, but I kind of place them in the same category as Genright; Good quality products, but outrageously expensive for what you get. Nothing I'd love more than the Genright cage, but I know I can save $$ by having a local fabricator build me one. The ball is in your court though, I don't think you can go wrong with either. Where you can go wrong though: not running a cooler, and running a 1.75" bore ram.

Last edited by BoraBora; 06-21-2018 at 01:10 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

So I'm running an LS with WTO hydro assist. (MoTech LS install). The factory steering gearbox works without issue with an LS install with one change. One of the holes that is drilled in the gearbox is moved to a different location for clearance reasons. Now, that's not a big deal because you could run the WTO steering gearbox with the standard ports then cap the one that needs to be used and MoTech will drill/tap a new hole in the gearbox to work with an LS.

Also, I've drilled/tapped a factory gearbox (2012 JK) for hydro assist and it's not difficult at all. Just have to be brave... hahahaha..

As for the WTO kit I'm running. I'm on 37s with an LS. I'm using the WTO 1.5" ram, factory ps pump, a cooler, factory PS reservoir, and a drilled/tapped factory gearbox. My steering is tight and I can run 80mph on the interstate with a crosswind without issue. It works great when I'm locked off road as well. My ONLY complaint with WTO is they tend to ship hoses that are too short for my liking. If you go with them, measure out how you want to route your hoses yourself and then request those lengths. They have great customer service as well.

EDIT - I don't know if the XD gearbox from PSC will clear with an LS... that would be a question for Robbie (MoTech)... I THINK I saw one of his installs with an XD box the last time I was at his shop, but it could have been my imagination.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:56 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are looking at the Big Bore version 2 box, you will have clearance issues with an LS

Quick Reply: Have you installed a PSC?