JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Headlights. (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/headlights-340736/)

metaldemon 03-03-2017 10:51 AM

Headlights.

My 2012 JK has a issue wth blowing out headlights. It does have a Rally light harness, so the lights run off the battery. It does make them much brighter, but with the high voltage that my JK puts out when running might be the issue. It has always done this, and the stealership said it was in spec. I was wondering if any one is running LED bulbs. Not LED headlights, just the bulbs. I am not going to spend that kind of money on Headlight for a JK. I might for one of my Real Cherokees, but not for the WRONGLER.

shabbernigdo 03-03-2017 12:52 PM

sell your "wrongler" and driver one of your cherokee's. done.

Smudgeontheglass 03-03-2017 01:01 PM

LED bulbs are generally just garbage and will fail at any time.

mdash 03-03-2017 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by shabbernigdo (Post 4280949)
sell your "wrongler" and drive one of your cherokee's. done.

:rotflmao2: Perfect answer.

I'm curious how many pairs of garbage bulbs you're willing to buy before you buy a nice set of headlights and be done with it?

Also curious, what's the difference between a Real Cherokee and a not real Cherokee?

metaldemon 03-03-2017 04:40 PM

OK so I take it the LED bulbs are not a good idea. I did buy a 94 2dr XJ to replace the JK. Just going to put a lift on her with tires and gears. I really don't want to spend any more big dollars on the JK. I thought I wanted a new vehicle, but I was wrong. Too many electronic glitches over the few years I have owned it.

cedarraider 03-04-2017 12:41 PM

Probably the only way to make things work properly will be truck lights/JW or HID projector system. Don't think there is a cheap way around it. I dive mine daily so it's worth it being able to see in the dark.

Ryan0260 03-04-2017 01:21 PM

The problem with throwing a random LED into the factory housing is that the reflectors aren't designed to disperse the light for an LED light, and that is crucial to getting the benefit of one.

metaldemon 03-04-2017 02:55 PM

I don't have the stock housings. I have IPF e-code glass housings. I understand that the LED bulbs are a bad idea. I have just put an extra set of bulbs in my glove box. Thanks

bfdfreddie 03-05-2017 07:04 PM

Help with Headlights

Originally Posted by Ryan0260 (Post 4281107)
The problem with throwing a random LED into the factory housing is that the reflectors aren't designed to disperse the light for an LED light, and that is crucial to getting the benefit of one.

Hey Ryan what headlights do you recommend? I do not want Halos or blackout looking type I just want brighter to see at night. I want the traditional silver looking like stock but with the LED brightness that are D.O.T. approved.

Any input would be great.

Ryan0260 03-05-2017 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by bfdfreddie (Post 4281295)
Hey Ryan what headlights do you recommend? I do not want Halos or blackout looking type I just want brighter to see at night. I want the traditional silver looking like stock but with the LED brightness that are D.O.T. approved.

Any input would be great.

I'm currently running the Trucklite LED's and been happy with them. They are more traditional looking than many LED's and have a split lense and give great light output.

I ran the IPF H4's on my last JK, and the were a nice inexpensive upgrade for a non LED light, and still had a nice white light color.