Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

headliights adjusrment

Old 01-10-2009, 06:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headliights adjusrment

so i had three people flash high beams at me. mine were not on. i have 2 in lift with 35 do i need to adjust my lights down if so how
Old 01-10-2009, 07:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Search "adjust headlights" in Electrical section-

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ust+headlights
Old 01-10-2009, 07:00 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just take off the front grille and there are 2 small torx adjustment screws on the headlights
Old 01-10-2009, 07:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

daniel stern's website has a real good write up with diagrams. and I didn't have to remove the grill to adjust the lights
Old 01-10-2009, 07:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Buy a cheap set of torx wrenches (like allen wrenches), and you will see the holes to adjust and the 10 o'clock (passenger) and 2 o'clock (driver). The fog lights have holes right under them through the bumper.

I just did mine by using someones recommendation of parking 25' from a wall on a level surface then adjusting the top of the beam at 36". This seemed to work on my 2.5" lift and stock 32's.

I did not remove the grill.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:23 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffD
Buy a cheap set of torx wrenches (like allen wrenches), ...
I did not remove the grill.
What he said. Just want to add that if you buy a Torx socket set, you will need to remove the grill--there isn't clearance for the socket past the gap between the headlight and the grill (unless the Torx bits are longer than typical). And, some bumpers may get in the way--if they have a hood hoop. I ran into that problem on Torn's JK--fortunately I have a Torx set where the wrenches are all tied together in a single housing. It was able to bend and twist to access the adjustment screws where the Torx drivers were not.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Get a Torx screwdriver that has a blade of normal screwdriver length - say 4". Then you won't have to take off the grill. Other posters have the position of the two screws correct. There are only two screws which are for vertical adjustment. They didn't see fit to give us horizontal as they thought we'd screw it up.

The posters that said to go to Daniel Sterns sight is correct. But as I recall the central thing is to put the face of your headlights 25 ft from a flat wall. Make a mark with tape, or whatever, the height of the CENTER of your headlights. The top of the beam should be 2" below that. The number changes with height. I thing for headlights higher than 39" off the ground the number is 4".

That gets me in the ballpark but in reality what I do is adjust them as high as I can without getting flashed that also gives me good high beam placement. The problem you have is that Jeep choose a lousy, cheap, headlamp and there is too much vertical displacement between low and high. You will never get truly satisfactory results. The best thing is to dump the stock headlamp (notice I'm saying headlamp - not bulb) and get a quality unit from Cibie, Marchal or Wipac (Not Hella as they have too great vertical displacement too).
Old 01-11-2009, 05:32 AM
JK Super Freak

great info guys, this is what i need to do now that i am sittin up higher, i keep gettin flashed
Old 01-11-2009, 05:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm surprised you didn't get flashed before now. As stock, I was flashed many times. For whatever reason, (at least for my 07 model) they shipped these things with really high pointing headlights.

Often when I'm driving around town at night I just run with the fogs on and not the headlights to avoid hurting peoples yes.

Also, don't forget, especially now that you're taller, to be polite and turn off your headlines at red lights when you're stopped behind someone with a lower car and your shinning right on their mirrors.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:02 AM
JK Junkie

You dont even need torx wrenches. I adjusted mine with an allen wrench. Ive even taken my top off with an allen wrench. Just make sure you use the right size.