Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Heard a ticking... checked oil to find 1.5 qts in the engine... RIPP S/C??? WTF???

Old 03-18-2013, 08:30 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Davoarts
X2 on the oil light never coming on until it's too late. I changed my oil and filter and the old filter gasket stayed on and interfered with the seal of the new filter, letting a steady stream of oil flow out all the way down my neighborhood streets after I changed my oil and took it for a drive. I smelled oil and came back home and found out I lost 4 quarts, oil light never came on. Luckily I didn't drive enough to fully dump the oil, but it still made me wonder why the light never came on. I sent Chrysler a complaint on that one.
The light comes on only to warn of low oil pressure. It is in no way related to oil quantity.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mpkelley20
How many miles are on your Jeep? You said you have never had oil consumption before until the SC went in, correct?

I know people throw our the "3.8L sucks oil" but, like you, I have never had this issue. I think it's SOME of the 3.8's have this issue. There are plenty that don't.

Hopefully people with a RIPP can chime in to say whether or nor the SC made a difference on oil consumption. Because if you never had a problem before the SC, then it would seem on the surface that the SC has kicked in some kind of oil consumption......unless the place that does your oil changes somehow forgot to add enough oil last time around!
My jeep has 43,000 miles on it. I put the charger on at about 37,000 miles.

I change my oil... I buy 6qts and 6qts go in... I don't have much faith in our local mechanics... 3 out of 4 times they do more harm then good in my experience... I went to synthetic and do changes every 7-8000 miles...
Old 03-18-2013, 08:57 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Nwapache
In my previous experience with Vortech superchargers, you have to tap Into the oil pan with a return line from the SC unit. Now that you've added new components to be oiled, and new fittings and gaskets to leak through, oil has a lot more places to hide.
If that's the case with your Ripp kit, then you've got a few possibilities. Have you noticed any leaks under your jeep? Check the fittings on your drain pan, and the s&c unit. Also, I believe it's highly likely the additional compression increases the amount of oil being pushed past your gaskets. Time for a serious shop inspection to find out if your oil is burning or leaking.
Oh, and no offense intended but there is a reason they call them idiot lights. If you wait for one to go on, then...
The Ripp supercharger (Vortech) does not tie into the jeeps oil system.... It has it's own oil that you are supposed to change every 7,000 miles.

I park in the same spot in the driveway every day and I just spent the weekend up and close to that spot chanigng the leaf spring smin my trailer so no oil leaks. Plus I didn't see any areas of oil/dirt build up under the jeep when I changed the oil.

in hines sight, I also believe that the additional compression increases the amount of oil consumption. Expecially with 5W-20.. but I really wasn't expecting that much of an increase.

This is the first vehicle that I have ever owned that 1qt per 1,000 miles is acceptable. Out of all my beaters and nice cars, (10 total) 1 qt per oil change (3000 miles) was the worst I have ever seen. I can't believe the first car I buy brand new eats that much is "normal". That sucks! lol
Old 03-18-2013, 09:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mine eats more oil the lighter weight I go...I put 10-30 Mobil 1 and that seems to have taken care of the issue...I also run a RIPP with no issues for about 2 years and 25K miles.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:17 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Russellj30t
The Ripp supercharger (Vortech) does not tie into the jeeps oil system.... It has it's own oil that you are supposed to change every 7,000 miles.

I park in the same spot in the driveway every day and I just spent the weekend up and close to that spot chanigng the leaf spring smin my trailer so no oil leaks. Plus I didn't see any areas of oil/dirt build up under the jeep when I changed the oil.

in hines sight, I also believe that the additional compression increases the amount of oil consumption. Expecially with 5W-20.. but I really wasn't expecting that much of an increase.

This is the first vehicle that I have ever owned that 1qt per 1,000 miles is acceptable. Out of all my beaters and nice cars, (10 total) 1 qt per oil change (3000 miles) was the worst I have ever seen. I can't believe the first car I buy brand new eats that much is "normal". That sucks! lol
Don't misinterpret the word "normal" as it applies to oil consumption.
Normal is what most engines do, which is burn very little oil.

The 1 qt/1,000 mile thing is just a limit, before which the manufacture won't do anything under warranty.
It's a limit that has been around for many decades, and used by just about all the manufacturers.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:47 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by PhxRainey
Mine eats more oil the lighter weight I go...I put 10-30 Mobil 1 and that seems to have taken care of the issue...I also run a RIPP with no issues for about 2 years and 25K miles.
Great info.... Thanks. Did you install your RIPP? I installed mine and now that I looked into the PCV question from an earlier post in the tread I am wondering why RIPP doesn't have you remove the stock PCV when you install theirs as well. I assume thiers is a better build and higher psi rating to stop boost from going in crank but installing both in line of one another seems a little off in my book.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:55 AM
JK Newbie

So after the oil change and adding the correct amount of oil the ticking noise went away. But then I drove it a few miles and now the ticking noise is back. I hope I didn't jack up a rod or somthing... Wonder if it would be worth removing Ripp system and taking it to dealer to see if they will look at it.

Last edited by Russellj30t; 03-18-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:00 AM
JK Super Freak

in hind sight, I also believe that the additional compression increases the amount of oil consumption. Expecially with 5W-20.. but I really wasn't expecting that much of an increase.
I wasn't sure if your version was self contained oiling. Since your not seeing any oil leaks, its all internal. Definitely swap to a heavier weight, i'd recommend non synthetic. Synthetic oil is much finer and will pass by seals easier than petroleum. With that much volume blowing through, it might be a good idea to have your motor pressure tested. I'd be concerned about the condition of your head gasket and cylinders. I suppose you could check your plugs for fouling.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So after the oil change and adding the correct amount of oil the ticking noise went away. But then I drove it a few miles and now the ticking noise is back. I hope I didn't jack up a rod or somthing... Wonder if it would be worth removing Ripp system and taking it to dealer to see if they will look at it. Is it detectable that FI was used for a few thousand miles? I don't want to go threw the 6 hours to take it off if they are just going to give me the "nice try" you owe us $3,000 for our labor. Also, I have a 2" OME lift so would the warranty of the engine be voided because of that. I have heard of some far fetched excuses that the stealer ships have said it changes all of the drive/load dynamics by being lifted...
I wouldnt waste your time taking the s/c off. If you damaged something due to lack of oil, that will be obvious. Be it a wiped bearing or scoring on your cylinder walls. No oil is user error. The owners manual say you should check it periodically.

The lift shouldnt void the warranty on the engine.

That aside, you decided to go forced induction on an engine not designed to use forced induction. Whether the engine will hold up or not is besides the point, you knew that it would void the warranty. Even if it is a failed component completely separate from the supercharger. Trying to steal from the manufacturer is not the ethical way to go about this.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:02 PM
JK Newbie

update... I drove to work and home and this last trip the ticking noise was not present when I first started jeep. No noises until I got out of my neighborhood. Then the light ticking started... as the engine got warmer it got louder. Then about half way to work the ticking started sounding more deep. It sounds like more of a clunking now... Any ideas what may be going on in there? Seems like a slight loss in power but nothing drastic and it does not feel like it's misfiring...

Thanks,
Russ

Quick Reply: Heard a ticking... checked oil to find 1.5 qts in the engine... RIPP S/C??? WTF???