Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Heavy steering

Old 03-11-2009, 08:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heavy steering

Just installed rough country 4'' lift with 2.2 shocks and pitman arm with drop brackets. Question is no mater what my caster is set at i have a heavy steering for the first 1/4 turn of the stearing wheel. I also noticed that after completing a turn the stearing wheel does not return back to center on its own. It stays at about 1/4 turn and i have to pull it back to center. This happens no mater what speed im driving at. Anybody else have this problem? Any feed back would be of great help.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

That is definitely not right. I have the same lift and the steering is not heavy at all. I'm running the dual steering stabilizer with the lift and would say that it feels real close to stock. I would call Ben @ RC, they have great customer support .

Last edited by hammerhead; 03-11-2009 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Typically, when the wheel will not snap back to center after a turn it's an indication
of caster set too low (ie less than @ 4.0*). I'd try for 6-6.5* of caster and see if that helps.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:37 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by omar
Just installed rough country 4'' lift with 2.2 shocks and pitman arm with drop brackets. Question is no mater what my caster is set at i have a heavy steering for the first 1/4 turn of the stearing wheel. I also noticed that after completing a turn the stearing wheel does not return back to center on its own. It stays at about 1/4 turn and i have to pull it back to center. This happens no mater what speed im driving at. Anybody else have this problem? Any feed back would be of great help.
based on what you've said and assuming you have sufficient caster, it sounds to me like there is a problem with your steering stabilizer. specifically, it sounds like the can is crushed a bit and or has lost it's oil and is no longer valving correctly. try pulling it off and inspect it carefully. also, try to valve it by hand as this should be somewhat easy to do. if you find that it is excessively difficult, that is your problem.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:59 AM
JK Newbie

I just rplaced my steering stabilizer about 2 months ago since my stock unit was leaking oil. Everithing checks out ok their and as mentioned before regarless of my camber it still feals heavy. Im starting to think i might have damaged my steering box when i removed the pitman arm. I tried for 30 minutes with a pitman wedge before renting a pitman puller. It took 200 pounds of torqe to remove it.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

It took 200 pounds of torqe to remove it.

That's not too far off as the required torque on that Pitman arm nut is 185 Ft. Lbs.
Only an 8% difference
Old 03-11-2009, 01:10 PM
JK Newbie

Thank's for the info Michigan Mike. But i am wondering if it got damaged with the pitman wedge. I am not familier with the steering box but i would imagine that it would not be good for the internals to be put under such high stress. Has anyone had a steering box go bad on them. Maybe this it the reason i am having heavy steering.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:41 PM
JK Freak

Goes to the dealer in the morning; no issue with heavy steering, but a flighty feel to the steering that started a few weeks ago...

Old 03-11-2009, 03:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by omar
Thank's for the info Michigan Mike. But i am wondering if it got damaged with the pitman wedge. I am not familier with the steering box but i would imagine that it would not be good for the internals to be put under such high stress. Has anyone had a steering box go bad on them. Maybe this it the reason i am having heavy steering.
We can guess about that 'til the cows come home. Short of taking the rig to an "expert" or breaking the steering box down, the answer
is no one can be sure (or from my perspective even make a reasonable assumption). Sorry, I know that's no help.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

OK sudden idea! The drag link/Pitman arm bolt is only 77 Ft. Lbs. Consider removing
that bolt/nut and disconnecting the drag link and see if the steering from inside is better/different. That MIGHT
lead ya either to or away from the steering box.

Quick Reply: Heavy steering