Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello from Prodigy Performance - Home of the TurboJeep!

Old 03-15-2016, 05:22 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJ1
Nice. You gotta love that "sleeper" look with big bawls performance
Thanks! I put some extra effort into blacking out the intercooler and clamps to get the sleeper look (unpainted intercooler pic for comparison):

Click image for larger version

Name:	intercooler_and_grill_installed.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	339.6 KB
ID:	640773Click image for larger version

Name:	unpainted_intercooler.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	640776

I used Eastwood Radiator Black (satin finish): Eastwood Radiator Black Paint

It took less than 1 can to cover the entire intercooler with a few coats. If I could go back and do it again, I would leave the back side unpainted. The special radiator paint emits heat very well, but it also absorbs heat well if something hotter is nearby (like a radiator). Leaving the back side unpainted would reflect heat from the radiator and help keep the intercooler... well, cooler.

Here's a nice video demonstrating how a black intercooler is more effective than unpainted (and they didn't even use special radiator paint):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1QL9veQaNg
For the clamps, I scuffed them up with sandpaper, cleaned them well, then sprayed a couple coats of matte black grill paint.

The stock exhaust helps with the sleeper status too. It's very quiet when driving around gently.

~Jeff

Last edited by Prodigy Performance; 03-15-2016 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:57 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by jlocker
Welcome. What kind of fuel mileage are you getting with the turbo?
Without controlled tests or meticulous logging of hand-calculated gas mileage before/after with very similar driving conditions, I can't really make any claims about it. I have done neither, so I can only offer you anecdotal evidence from memory based on the dashboard fuel economy display (which I reset occasionally, especially before long trips).

Before the turbo, I would average around 19-21 mpg with my 14 miles daily driving to/from work on suburban streets with several traffic lights and usually about 30 miles on the freeway on the weekends.

With the stage 1 and stage 2 turbo on wastegate pressure only (no boost controller), my average stayed about the same, even with at least one daily full throttle acceleration through 1st and 2nd gear.

Recently, after adding the boost controller, mileage seems to have dropped a bit to the 18-19 mpg range, but the installation of the boost controller also was close to coinciding to the seasonal change to "winter" gas, and seasonal temperature decreases, which both contribute to lower fuel mileage. I really need to wait to see how it averages out in the summer... except I just increased my tire size, so now I've changed too many variables to come to any conclusions about the boost controller's effect on mpg.

Before the turbo, I would average about 22-24 mpg on longer freeway trips. After the turbo, but before the boost controller and tires, I have seen 23-25 mpg on similar trips.

And of course, the more you make use of the boost for fun, the worse the gas mileage.

Keep in mind that there's also the increased cost of premium fuel (minimum 91 octane required for the turbo). I do remember at one point with the stage 1 turbo, I calculated dollars-per-mile with gas prices at teh time and found that had just enough increase in mpg that I was barely breaking even on cost of miles compared to stock (with mostly normal driving).

A lot of shaky anecdotal evidence from potentially incorrect memory. It's entirely possible that I have subconsciously ignored or given less weight to situations where the turbo made less mpg than stock. What I can say with more confidence is that - if driven fairly "normally" - the change in gas mileage should be fairly small to the point that it shouldn't really be considered a significant factor in deciding whether to add a turbo.

As always with all discussions about fuel economy: YMMV (literally) based on your driving habits and conditions.

~Jeff
Old 03-16-2016, 11:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ProdigyPerformance

Without controlled tests or meticulous logging of hand-calculated gas mileage before/after with very similar driving conditions, I can't really make any claims about it. I have done neither, so I can only offer you anecdotal evidence from memory based on the dashboard fuel economy display (which I reset occasionally, especially before long trips).

Before the turbo, I would average around 19-21 mpg with my 14 miles daily driving to/from work on suburban streets with several traffic lights and usually about 30 miles on the freeway on the weekends.

With the stage 1 and stage 2 turbo on wastegate pressure only (no boost controller), my average stayed about the same, even with at least one daily full throttle acceleration through 1st and 2nd gear.

Recently, after adding the boost controller, mileage seems to have dropped a bit to the 18-19 mpg range, but the installation of the boost controller also was close to coinciding to the seasonal change to "winter" gas, and seasonal temperature decreases, which both contribute to lower fuel mileage. I really need to wait to see how it averages out in the summer... except I just increased my tire size, so now I've changed too many variables to come to any conclusions about the boost controller's effect on mpg.

Before the turbo, I would average about 22-24 mpg on longer freeway trips. After the turbo, but before the boost controller and tires, I have seen 23-25 mpg on similar trips.

And of course, the more you make use of the boost for fun, the worse the gas mileage.

Keep in mind that there's also the increased cost of premium fuel (minimum 91 octane required for the turbo). I do remember at one point with the stage 1 turbo, I calculated dollars-per-mile with gas prices at teh time and found that had just enough increase in mpg that I was barely breaking even on cost of miles compared to stock (with mostly normal driving).

A lot of shaky anecdotal evidence from potentially incorrect memory. It's entirely possible that I have subconsciously ignored or given less weight to situations where the turbo made less mpg than stock. What I can say with more confidence is that - if driven fairly "normally" - the change in gas mileage should be fairly small to the point that it shouldn't really be considered a significant factor in deciding whether to add a turbo.

As always with all discussions about fuel economy: YMMV (literally) based on your driving habits and conditions.

~Jeff
Ha ha thanks
Old 03-17-2016, 02:18 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by ProdigyPerformance
Thanks! I put some extra effort into blacking out the intercooler and clamps to get the sleeper look (unpainted intercooler pic for comparison):
You get a chance to do any runs against any unsuspecting mustangs, vettes, hemi's, wrx's, or M3's yet lol? Of course in a controlled setting/track especially without the kiddies in the back.....of course.....lol
Old 03-17-2016, 05:50 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by DJ1
You get a chance to do any runs against any unsuspecting mustangs, vettes, hemi's, wrx's, or M3's yet lol?
The Jeep is such a good sleeper that I never really get anyone trying to race me, and I don't make a point to try to challenge other people. There's only one time I know for sure that I really surprised someone.

I had a Hemi Challenger (most likely the 6.1 SRT8) try to swerve around me and pass me soon after taking off (normally) from a light. There were 2 lanes, one lane ended somewhere around 1/8 mile ahead. I saw him swerve to the other lane, heard that Hemi start roaring, so I decided I should create some distance between us before the lane ends... for safety, to prevent one of us from cutting the other off at the merge point. He managed to get almost beside me right about when the turbo fully spooled up, and then I quickly created that safety buffer space between us.

He caught up with me (me going a normal/safe speed) just after the the second lane ended, tailgated me for a few seconds, then full-throttle passed me in a no-passing zone, flipped me the bird, and continued full-throttle accelerating to excessive speeds ahead of me... to a red light.

He slowed for the red light, and I continued at a normal speed. As I approached him at the light, he just took off full throttle again through the red light. I stop at the light, light turns green, right about when he has to stop at the next red light about 1/8 mile ahead. There's two lanes at this light. As I approach this light, he turns at an angle and pulls forward a bit to try to block both lanes, preventing me from pulling up next to him.

I actually needed to turn right at that intersection, and there was enough room for me to get through. As I pulled up beside him and checked for traffic (right turn on red is legal here in Michigan), I looked over to smile at him. He was looking straight forward with both hands on the wheel

I got a good laugh out of it. I wonder how he tells the story?

~Jeff

Last edited by Prodigy Performance; 03-17-2016 at 05:54 AM.
Old 03-17-2016, 06:06 AM
Former Vendor

Relevant: Here's a video of a turbo Jeep holding it's own off the line against a corvette. The corvette won in the end (pesky aerodynamics of a brick on wheels spoiling the fun!), but still impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwfY47Y01D0 ~Jeff
Old 03-17-2016, 11:22 AM
JK Freak

Are these available/ compatible with a 2015?

Might be a option I would like to explore since tuning is difficult without sending in the ecm.
Old 03-17-2016, 04:29 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by JKphotoshoot
Are these available/ compatible with a 2015?
Yes (and 2016!), but it requires that you purchase an "unlocked" PCM from us. The PCM will be calibrated to your vehicle's VIN before being sent to you.

Current pricing is $595. This price includes a $195 core charge. After the install, you can return your original PCM (in good condition) for a core charge refund. The end result is that you'll end up paying $400 for an "unlocked" PCM, and you don't have to leave your Jeep sitting in the driveway undriveable for a week while your PCM is shipped back and forth.

~Jeff
Old 03-17-2016, 07:02 PM
Former Vendor

Quick clarification: The purchase of an "unlocked" PCM is only necessary for 2015+ Wranglers.

The custom tune for the turbo is separate from the unlocking of the PCM, and is installed via a handheld Diabliosport inTune tuner. Both the handheld tuner and the custom tune are included in the price of the turbo kit.

~Jeff
Old 03-18-2016, 04:11 AM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't understand racing a Jeep on the street (or at the track for that matter). I've been there and done that with the racing from light to light (and at the strip) with a mustang. But, in a Jeep? If you want to go fast on pavement get a fast car or SUV. I would much rather put money into tires and suspension to have a better time off road, where a Jeep belongs.

Quick Reply: Hello from Prodigy Performance - Home of the TurboJeep!