Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help!

Old 04-18-2014, 08:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!

So I just got back from the store and on my way home I was cruising around 50 mph, turned my lights on and it sounded like there was a very faint "pop". About 5 seconds later all the console lights and alarms started going off and flashing, my rpm's would drop to 0 and then shoot back up to 45-50, and you could hear the engine wanting to die. So I went to turn around to head home and in that period of time of me slowing down and turning around she completely died on me. I had no juice to start her back up. Had a friend come out to give me a jump and made it home with no problems. So my question is what is the problem? Battery? Alternator? I did jump a friend a couple times a few weeks ago before my jeep sat for around 2 weeks, was getting new tires, I don't think that could of caused that. What do you all think? Thanks!
Old 04-18-2014, 09:24 PM
JK Newbie

I know it sounds obvious but check your battery connections. I had one that was popping on and off with similar issues until I finally hit a big enough bump in the desert to pop it off all the way. We sat there for a good 20-30min trying to figure out what happened.

This seems especially possible since the issue went away after jumping, it was likely you pushed the connector on the battery better when you put on the jumper cables.

Good luck!
Old 04-18-2014, 09:26 PM
JK Newbie

Also the pop could have been it arcing under your hood, did you hit a decent bump or anything right before it happened?
Old 04-18-2014, 09:38 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MontanaRaptor
I know it sounds obvious but check your battery connections. I had one that was popping on and off with similar issues until I finally hit a big enough bump in the desert to pop it off all the way. We sat there for a good 20-30min trying to figure out what happened.

This seems especially possible since the issue went away after jumping, it was likely you pushed the connector on the battery better when you put on the jumper cables.

Good luck!
That's what I thought to and I checked the connections and they seemed nice and tight. I'll double check though. And as for hitting a bump I didn't. It's very strange but I did find out from the wife that this did happen to her before. I was at work and she said that she went to start her up and she had nothing. She said she waited about 5 minutes and tried again and it worked just fine I'm pretty clueless when it comes to fuses and the electrical side of things but could it be a fuse of some sort?
Old 04-18-2014, 09:57 PM
JK Newbie

Checked my connection again just to be sure and they where good and tight.
Old 04-19-2014, 02:58 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by MntMan
Checked my connection again just to be sure and they where good and tight.
They are tight, but are they clean where the clamp touches the post? Take them off and brush the posts and inside the clamps until they are shiny. There may also be corrosion inside where the terminals are crimped onto the battery wires.
Clean and tighten all the ground points on the fenders.
Make sure the connection is tight where the red wire hooks to the fuse box. Wiggle it. The plate where it anchors could be cracked.
Some people have fixed the no-start by adding additional ground wires between the battery negative and one of the alternator mount bolts, and between the battery negative and the vehichle structure.
How old is your battery? If it's original, it may be time for a new one. Have the battery and alternator checked.

Quick Reply: Help!