Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help! 35's on spare tire carrier

Old 08-15-2009, 01:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! 35's on spare tire carrier

I just had my lift put on with my tires and wheels, but did not even think about the spare tire. My 35's will not fit on the spare tire carrier with stock bumper. I have reviewed many post that talk about using a spacer, but that only seems to work for 32's. I really am not ready to drop $1000 for bumper/tire carrier combo. Please share any ideas that will help me mount my spare without replacing my stock bumper.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kimini
I just had my lift put on with my tires and wheels, but did not even think about the spare tire. My 35's will not fit on the spare tire carrier with stock bumper. I have reviewed many post that talk about using a spacer, but that only seems to work for 32's. I really am not ready to drop $1000 for bumper/tire carrier combo. Please share any ideas that will help me mount my spare without replacing my stock bumper.
Throw it behind your rear seat, and call it a day until you've saved up the cake for a tire carrier rear! Or. you can get this------->http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=41263 And if you want to buy that, make sure you call Bryan, he's a member here. His name on here is Bustabizz!
Old 08-15-2009, 02:40 PM
JK Freak

This is a tough one and I ran spareless until I could come up with the coin to get a bumper/carrier.

I mounted a 35" on the back for a day and it seemed way too heavy for the swing gate. Alot of people do run it back there tho and say its fine, but alot of people also report damage and broken spot welds.

I was lucky enough to fid a used Mopar bumper/carrier for alot less than $1000, maybe you can too.

GL
Old 08-15-2009, 02:42 PM
JK Newbie

Where did you look for your used one? on here.
BTW, what does PM mean on this forum?
Old 08-15-2009, 03:30 PM
JK Freak

I sorta found it on here. I met serveapurpose (a member) at a run and we made a deal.

PM means private message.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:38 PM
JK Junkie

you can put it on your gate with an adapter, but I wouldnt plan on doing it long...Mine popped most of the tailgate welds and wobbled something awful after a few months.
My setup is heavier than some though.
you can get carrier for half of the money you were talking about....search carriers.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:41 PM
JK Newbie

A 35" tire will eventually bend your taligate. I have seen it happen.....twice
Old 08-15-2009, 04:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

I wheeled and drove on the street for 18,000 miles with a 35 mounted on the stock carrier,no adaptor,no broken gate.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

I initially had my 35" spare on the tailgate with the spacer that some have mentioned. However, I didn't like how it rattled around and was afraid of it eventually tearing things up. So, I bought a used Rancho rear bumper with tire carrier for under $300. It's only $399 brand new, but still relatively cheap. It's definitely not nearly as nice as the other bumper tire carriers that run $800+, but you get what you pay for. I'm happy with it so far and it's serving it's purpose.

Good luck

Quick Reply: Help! 35's on spare tire carrier