Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help! with 37" tire balancing.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:42 PM
cfr
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by atsownz
They all say/argue with me that their machine is not capable, and that it is to large of a tire and would never balance anyways.
Hmm. Very odd. Did you buy these tires new? Do you have wheel spacers or something else that is provoking their gag reflex? (To be clear, I think spacers are fine but some shops barf and refuse to touch anything that has them.)

Here's three more things to try,

1. Call a local 4x4 shop

2. Try calling Goodyear, be extra nice, and ask for the contact info for a district or regional manager. Then explain your problem as simply as possible, re-iterate that you're willing to pay a fair price, and ask them to recommend a shop in your area. Sometimes all it takes is to speak to someone with connections.

3. Post a message in "The South" forum on this site with your city/state in the title. There has to be someone near you who has first-hand experience with a shop that can help you.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

i got my 35"s balanced at a local shop here just by talking with the owner one on one for a bit. one tire didn't quite make it, but it's kinda close. maybe instead of calling you could just go to a shop and talk one on one. it's harder to refuse a person who is persistent like that
Old 08-30-2009, 02:15 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah i bought them new from 4wheelparts ,and had them shipped to my house. I'm not tunning any wheel spacers or anything like that.

As my local 4x4 shop recommends using equal, and says thats the only way they balance tires over 35".

I will try to call Goodyear first hand and see what they say about my situation.

Has anyone had any luck with equal or dynabeads, as that might be my last resort , if all else fails.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:18 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well depending on how far u are willing to drive. im in pensacola fl, little under 4 hrs to montgomery. we have shops that will balance them. i got 37's on mine. one problem i ran into with shops not wanting to balance was because of rim liabilty. they were afraid of balancing a 37 because of possibly damaging surface of rim. most of the machines can handle the tire, they just dont want to do it. if u feel like coming to down to florida, i will give u names and numbers of shops and who i used. keep in mind that 37's are little dificult to balance and probbaly wont be perfect. but i have put 15,000 on mine and do not see any noticeable uneven wear. the stick on waits on the inside of the rim were used on mine and varied anywhere from 12oz to 16oz

sorry forgot to mention about the rim liability was mounting the tire

Last edited by captjay; 08-30-2009 at 07:21 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:13 PM
JK Newbie

Talking

Originally Posted by captjay
well depending on how far u are willing to drive. im in pensacola fl, little under 4 hrs to montgomery. we have shops that will balance them. i got 37's on mine. one problem i ran into with shops not wanting to balance was because of rim liabilty. they were afraid of balancing a 37 because of possibly damaging surface of rim. most of the machines can handle the tire, they just dont want to do it. if u feel like coming to down to florida, i will give u names and numbers of shops and who i used. keep in mind that 37's are little dificult to balance and probbaly wont be perfect. but i have put 15,000 on mine and do not see any noticeable uneven wear. the stick on waits on the inside of the rim were used on mine and varied anywhere from 12oz to 16oz

sorry forgot to mention about the rim liability was mounting the tire
That would be great if you could give me some names and numbers. I would really appreciate that. Me an my family were planing a trip to Pensacola for thanksgiving, so that would work out perfect.

On another note i will check that site for some locations.
Thanks for all the help guys, maybe i can get these dang tires balanced.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:05 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that really sucks sorry no suggestions.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:00 PM
JK Newbie

I have equal in mine and love it. Will never go back......I have had big tires on a bunch of diff trucks that always had a little shake at some mph range.... not any more. The guys at the 4x4 shop that I hang at all run it. Two of them run 44 in boggers and uses dynobeeds and man they run good. O and I all so run them in my bike that has a 180 tire on it works good......So i hope this helps you.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:55 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by geo76og
I have equal in mine and love it. Will never go back......I have had big tires on a bunch of diff trucks that always had a little shake at some mph range.... not any more. The guys at the 4x4 shop that I hang at all run it. Two of them run 44 in boggers and uses dynobeeds and man they run good. O and I all so run them in my bike that has a 180 tire on it works good......So i hope this helps you.
Do you remember how much Equal you put in your 37's? Thanks for your input, as this might be the way i end up balancing them.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:54 AM
Red
JK Enthusiast

Pretty much every tire balancing machine can handle up to 37s. The problem is, they take a lot of weight to balance, and will probably never get "perfectly" balanced. Try a smaller "local" tire shop or a shop that sells tires for large commercial vehicles (their balancing machines will handle the larger tires). Talk to the mechanic, explain you really want them balanced, even if it isn't perfect. A lot of the hesitation comes from two sources. One, the machine is not big enough. Not much you can do there. The other is that the mechanic knows that it will take lots of weight, which means more weights that can come off, especially off road, and that it will probably be close to balanced and not 100% balanced. There is a liability that goes with balancing the tires. He doesn't want something to happen to you, and then get blamed for an accident coming from an improperly balanced tire, or, more likely, that the tire won't be balanced right, will break down, and then he will see you there in front of him saying that he owes you a new tire. Not saying that you would do that, but I'm sure there is someone out there that would. Explain that you understand the limitations of balancing a large MT tire, and accept them, but would be extremly grateful if he would give it a try anyway.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:15 AM
JK Super Freak

I got mine balanced at a place that deals with bling blinb dubs....

corey d

Quick Reply: Help! with 37" tire balancing.