Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Cable Style Safari Top Install for JKU

Old 02-22-2018, 06:10 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Cable Style Safari Top Install for JKU

Hi Guys,

Searched all the threads on the JKU Cable Style Safari Top Install and could no find any real world experience notes..

I'm attaching the Safari Top to the Bestop Door Surround Kit. In the middle of the door surrounds it has a protruding metal latch (attached Picture). My question is how do remove the latch in the middle of the door surrounds? If so, how?

Thanks for your help.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:23 AM
Former Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're actually suppose to remove the door surrounds..
Old 02-22-2018, 08:49 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Originally Posted by TrailBadger
You're actually suppose to remove the door surrounds..
Nah, that one uses the door surrounds. I've not seen this in person, but given the bulge in the picture below, and the fact the instructions don't say anything, I tend to think you tuck the lever down best as you can, and go right over it.

Curious to see if someone actually has this and chimes in.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:14 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for your help, I saw the bulge as well, but wasn't too sure as they do not tuck in very well.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:16 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Originally Posted by TornadoTX
Thanks for your help, I saw the bulge as well, but wasn't too sure as they do not tuck in very well.
I'll reiterate, I don't have this top, nor have I ever seen it, but I pulled one of my soft top surrounds out of storage this morning and looked it closely. On the one I have, it looks as though that latch is held in place via a knurled peg (or rivet) inserted in to place. Definitely not intended to be removed. Given that big bulge in the previous picture, I'm pretty confident it's still there. Doesn't seem like the best idea ever and that it would rub the material, but I don't see another alternative. What you might consider doing is releasing the small spring for that latch, at least that way when you lean the lever back, nothing is trying to pull it back forward.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:44 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks resharp001, I realize you do not have the top, but your assumptions were spot on. I also had a look and saw that the latch is not made to be pulled out. Would have been nice if they had made that an optional piece with a screw in or something like that.

I did throw the Safari top on this weekend to have a look. At the point where the latches connect, the safari top has extra pieces of material for reinforcement, so I'm pretty confident its supposed to go on like that and will not break.

Quick Reply: Help with Cable Style Safari Top Install for JKU