Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

help with esp,abs,tc, lights

Old 09-28-2009, 05:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with esp,abs,tc, lights

hey guys/gals ive been reading through some threads trying to find the right one and cant, so sorry if this is a repost.

2 nights ago i was driving, and if i make a slow right turn all my lights on my dash light up????? then they turn off after i restart the jeep. sometimes they turn off a little down the road. and then it didnt happen yesterday, but today its starting to do it again.

but it drives the same with the lights on and off???

the steering wheel is strait, i havent gone offroading for like 3 weeks.

i have a 3inch teraflex lift, and 35 x 12.50's the lift was dealer installed when i bought it in feb of 09.

can anyone help?????
Old 09-28-2009, 05:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by joes-jk
hey guys/gals ive been reading through some threads trying to find the right one and cant, so sorry if this is a repost.

2 nights ago i was driving, and if i make a slow right turn all my lights on my dash light up????? then they turn off after i restart the jeep. sometimes they turn off a little down the road. and then it didnt happen yesterday, but today its starting to do it again.

but it drives the same with the lights on and off???

the steering wheel is strait, i havent gone offroading for like 3 weeks.

i have a 3inch teraflex lift, and 35 x 12.50's the lift was dealer installed when i bought it in feb of 09.

can anyone help?????
I was having the same problems after I lifted my Jeep. I took it and had an alignment done at the Dealer and all lights went off. This weekend I did some pretty serious wheeling and my lights came on again after I aired my tires back up. I also noticed my steering wheel would move 1/8 turn before the tires would turn at all. I had a 100 mile trip back home with the lights on and the ESP activating the brakes. My brakes got pretty hot and I had to stop several times to let them cool off.
Today I put the Jeep on the lift and found the nut on the pitman arm (steering box side) to be loose. When I tightened it steering got tight, I checked the rest of the lift kit bolts and found several to be loose (3rd time I tightened them).
The ESP/BAS light will only come on when the steering wheel is not strait and the Jeep is driven for a distance like that. Every time I have had this problem it is fixed when I straiten the steering wheel.

Permanently turn ESP OFF
1)To turn it off: start in Park (auto trans), neutral (manual trans).
2)start the vehicle engine and wait 5 seconds for system to check and complete
3) shift trans case to 4 high. Firmly set parking brake
4)turn steering wheel until it is centered and wheels are strait
5)turn steering wheel 1/2 turn to right. Hold steering wheel in this position.
6)Press and hold ESP OFF button for 7 seconds. Release ESP OFF button after 7 seconds. Wait for chime.
8)Turn steering wheel back to center then turn 1/2 turn left (counter clockwise). Hold the steering wheel in this position
9)Press and hold ESP OFF buttong for 7 seconds. Release ESP OFF button after 7 seconds. Wait for chime.
10)Turn steering wheel back to center
11)Press and hold ESP OFF button for 7 seconds. Release ESP OFF button after 7 seconds. Wait for chime.
12)cycle ignition switch to the OFF position.
TO TURN BACK ON DO THIS AGAIN. Light on dash will be illumiated saying it is off.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

no codes????? and the sway bar is in the stock position,

wheel speed sensor???? im going to have to try cruise control. im just trying to avoid taking it to the dealer as much as i can, or at least when i go there i can tell them whats wrong insteed of them taking 3 days to figure it out like they famous for doing.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:06 PM
JK Newbie

THe lift and tires are throwing off the ESP system. I have 35"s and a 4" lift. Mine was so bad that it became unsafe to drive, so I disabled the automatic ESP. Now my Jeep drives fine. You can't just push the ESP button either. You have to do the "permanent" disable, which you can learn from researching this site (turn the wheel, push the break, etc., etc. - a serious of things you have to do). You can also "un-disable" it later by repeating the process.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

thanks for the fast replies.

about the lift throwing it off im just wondering y it took it 8 months to finnally mess up??
Old 09-28-2009, 08:06 PM
JK Freak

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/esp-bas-traction-control-lights-102901/ I had lifted my jeep with no issues then one night driving to the store, straight road all three light came on,read the above link and try that.....no issues since, i think it was just a false light, i did clear 2 codes which had nothing to do with my prob but all is well now.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

so i went to look at the abs lines going to the front wheels and a noticed the brackets on the u-joints. neither of the wires were in the bracket. but they were that way the day i got the lift put on from the dealer back in feb. i know this cause i ask them "d the wires just hang like that??" and they said yea.

but i had my dad drive it for me and i walk next to the jeep and saw the wires getting bounced around by the axle u-joints. so i attached them to the backets and then turn the wheel to full lock both ways and they had more slack than they did before . but the lights have not returned since i did that last night.

Quick Reply: help with esp,abs,tc, lights