Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

HELP! humming noise from drivetrain

Old 02-09-2013, 06:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! humming noise from drivetrain

I hope someone can help. I have a 2010 JKU Sport with stock driveshafts, a TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift on top of a TeraFlex Leveling Kit. I also have 1.5" Spidertrax spacers with stock 17" Wheels and Rubicon BFG KM tires. Jeep has 40,000 miles.

My Jeep sat for about a month and a half while I was recovering from surgery, and when I started driving it again I noticed what seemed like tire humming noise coming from the rear. I ignored the sound until I realized that the sound only happened when I was pressing on the accelerator pedal. I begin noticing the sound at about 10 MPH and it gets louder as I accelerate until the surrounding air and road noise drowns it out. If I let go of the accelerator the sound stops and regular tire/road noise remains.

I had gone wheeling through deep water a week before my surgery, so thinking that maybe water had entered my differential I replaced the diff fluid today with Mobil 1 synthetic gear fluid, the old fluid was indeed very watery and silver in color. There was a muddy like substance on the magnetic plug which I assume is quite normal. I also inspected the rear driveshaft and it seems OK. The noise is still there.

At this point I don't know where the noise may be coming from or where to begin looking. Could it be wheel bearings? gears? transfer case? transmission? I really don't know where to go from here. I feel comfortable changing my transfer case fluids, maybe transmission fluid as well, but when it comes to gears or wheel bearings I'm not so comfortable.

Any assistance or suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Hummmm ?

Originally Posted by holy_crap
I hope someone can help. I have a 2010 JKU Sport with stock driveshafts, a TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift on top of a TeraFlex Leveling Kit. I also have 1.5" Spidertrax spacers with stock 17" Wheels and Rubicon BFG KM tires. Jeep has 40,000 miles.

My Jeep sat for about a month and a half while I was recovering from surgery, and when I started driving it again I noticed what seemed like tire humming noise coming from the rear. I ignored the sound until I realized that the sound only happened when I was pressing on the accelerator pedal. I begin noticing the sound at about 10 MPH and it gets louder as I accelerate until the surrounding air and road noise drowns it out. If I let go of the accelerator the sound stops and regular tire/road noise remains.

I had gone wheeling through deep water a week before my surgery, so thinking that maybe water had entered my differential I replaced the diff fluid today with Mobil 1 synthetic gear fluid, the old fluid was indeed very watery and silver in color. There was a muddy like substance on the magnetic plug which I assume is quite normal. I also inspected the rear driveshaft and it seems OK. The noise is still there.

At this point I don't know where the noise may be coming from or where to begin looking. Could it be wheel bearings? gears? transfer case? transmission? I really don't know where to go from here. I feel comfortable changing my transfer case fluids, maybe transmission fluid as well, but when it comes to gears or wheel bearings I'm not so comfortable.

Any assistance or suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Same noise, approx. same lift height, same mileage. = rear CV joint.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:18 AM
JK Freak

thanks for your input. I wondered that myself, I don't know what to look for on the rear CV joint to see if it is the cause. Also, I have a 4 door and I see yours is a 2 door, I'm thinking due to the longer driveshaft on my 4 dr the angle would not be as big of an issue.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Check diff fluid and tranny fluid and transfercase fluid.. this was mine

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130210_122837.jpg
Views:	811
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	420452
Old 02-10-2013, 08:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

All that spinning and catching traction destroys your cv joints went through 2pairs in on winter with my f-150 and had the same noise you did. My mechanic told me if i wouldve waited my driveshaft prob would of fallen out
Old 02-10-2013, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Is there a vibration when this happens?
Old 02-10-2013, 04:19 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Tonka_yellow
Check diff fluid and tranny fluid and transfercase fluid.. this was mine

Attachment 420452
Yikes, that's pretty much the color of the liquid that came out of my rear differential. It was much more liquid than that though. I changed the fluid with Mobil 1 Synthetic gear oil.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:22 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
Is there a vibration when this happens?
No vibration at all when I drive, I crawled under the Jeep and tried to turn the driveshaft by hand and it would not budge.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

If theres a high pich squeaking sound its your cv joint theres no vibes or anything just that distinct EEe--eee sound when accelerating at low speeds
Old 02-10-2013, 05:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this noise?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvCejNP_dgo&list=UUy7sJ0QBoHFc6VOVMlYMWMg&index=22

Quick Reply: HELP! humming noise from drivetrain