Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

HELP...LED Headlights wont stay on!

Old 04-19-2016, 05:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP...LED Headlights wont stay on!

Hey guys I am having a very frustrating issue with my new LED headlights. Please help me as I cannot figure this problem out. I received a set from a vendor on here and they lights work great until I turn the vehicle on; they cycle on and off a couple times and then shut off completely. They are not flickering they shut off for a second or two then back on until the ECU completely shuts power to them.

I have spent hours on the phone with the owner of the shop who has been absolutely dedicated to helping me figure this out. It is not a loose connection and it is not the antiflicker harness. He sent me another set to try and solve the problem with no luck. I have hooked the light directly to the factory connection without the harness and had the same result; they stayed on fine until I turned the vehicle on.

I gave up on these headlights and ordered another set of VERY WELL known and respected headlights that have the antiflicker built in and specifically designed for the JK. What do you know I had the same exact issue.

So whats the deal? Has anyone had issues like this or does my ECU just not want to accept the fact I would like to see driving down the road.

Please help me figure this out as it is becoming very irritating.

Here are a couple videos the illustrate the difference. And yes I know my TOB is making noise, I am about to ask your opinion on that issue as well in another post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUyYlBSvGH0 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWAWbfeGgKY

Last edited by jstikel3; 04-19-2016 at 05:26 PM.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try disconnecting every aftermarket connection at the battery and if you tapped into the cigarette lighter. Bring it back to stock.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dose it do the same with stock headlights? you may end up having to use a stand alone wiring harness.
Old 04-20-2016, 04:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlackRockBurner
Try disconnecting every aftermarket connection at the battery and if you tapped into the cigarette lighter. Bring it back to stock.
I will try this today. Good idea. I am going to contact the manufacturer for the 2nd set of lights since those were made in the US.
Old 04-20-2016, 04:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shabbernigdo
dose it do the same with stock headlights? you may end up having to use a stand alone wiring harness.
Nope never had any issue with the stock headlights. The 2nd set I bought directly plug into the factory headlight and have the anti flicker built in.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jstikel3
Nope never had any issue with the stock headlights. The 2nd set I bought directly plug into the factory headlight and have the anti flicker built in.
Pull one of the lights and test the harness and see if you are getting constant power also check your grounds ive seen a missing ground cause all kinds of weird electrical issues on newer vehicles. It really dose look like its a controler causing the problem
Old 04-20-2016, 08:12 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by shabbernigdo
Pull one of the lights and test the harness and see if you are getting constant power also check your grounds ive seen a missing ground cause all kinds of weird electrical issues on newer vehicles. It really dose look like its a controler causing the problem

You wont get a constant reading that way. The headlights are fed by PWM. My Jw speakers and my truck lights do the same thing on occasion. Never found a reason why they do it and sadly they have decided to go off while driving on the freeway at night. The funny part is its the exact same blink sequence as the OP posted.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by dr.dirty
You wont get a constant reading that way. The headlights are fed by PWM. My Jw speakers and my truck lights do the same thing on occasion. Never found a reason why they do it and sadly they have decided to go off while driving on the freeway at night. The funny part is its the exact same blink sequence as the OP posted.
I have some trucklites on a rallylights standalone harness triggered by the factory lighting circut and have never had this issue. mines a 2012. maybe they changed something for the newer models on the pwm.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

The second set of headlights are the JW Speaker Evo J. They do the same thing as the other headlights did. These were designed for our JK's. I tried to contact JW today and didn't receive a call back. When yours cycled on and off did they eventually go out completely?
Old 04-21-2016, 07:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Any more advice on what to try. I have tried to get in touch with JW Speaker but haven't heard back. I have a 07 if that makes a difference.

Quick Reply: HELP...LED Headlights wont stay on!