Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

help me decide on tire size

Old 01-09-2013, 02:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I was thinking - since km2s are dunning a bit smaller, maaybe I could get away with 37s without regearring ...
Old 01-09-2013, 02:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Re-gearing depends on a few things such as how your JK is currently set up, where you live, etc. Re-gearing really is essential for optimal performance, mileage and such, but I'm sure their are plenty of members here who have driven on factory gears. It will definately be worse with an auto than a 6spd. From what I've read if you reprogram your Jk it will help a little till you get gears. If you ask around I'm sure you will find many who didn't re gear first, How doable it is will depnd on how your JK is set up, 3.21s. 3.73s, or 410s? Manual or auto? Do you live in a flat area or alot of mountains/hills? Around town or highway? Etc...
Old 01-09-2013, 02:38 PM
JK Super Freak

I was fortunate enough to be able to re gear right after my lift....but drove it on stock tires with 4.88s for a while till i got my tires and wheels...not fun but doable.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:55 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Bonedoc
Re-gearing depends on a few things such as how your JK is currently set up, where you live, etc. Re-gearing really is essential for optimal performance, mileage and such, but I'm sure their are plenty of members here who have driven on factory gears. It will definately be worse with an auto than a 6spd. From what I've read if you reprogram your Jk it will help a little till you get gears. If you ask around I'm sure you will find many who didn't re gear first, How doable it is will depnd on how your JK is set up, 3.21s. 3.73s, or 410s? Manual or auto? Do you live in a flat area or alot of mountains/hills? Around town or highway? Etc...
I have no idea what its set up as atm, sorry total noob. It is manual though ...
Old 01-09-2013, 02:57 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Ncb
I would go with 35s unless you have the money to beef up the axles for 37s. I just switched to 35" KM2 tires with a 2.5" lift and it looks great. 37" tires would require flat fenders. The KM2s measure out to 33.75" on my rig.
Thats kind of where Im leaning right now ... plus I have no idea what would cost me to regear the thing ...
Old 01-09-2013, 03:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dis_dis
Thats kind of where Im leaning right now ... plus I have no idea what would cost me to regear the thing ...
I've seen pricing from $900 to $1300..... So it's expensive.

But as a previous post said. You don't need to regear right away, or ever. A lot of members here are driving on 3.73 with 35" wheels, and are happy with that. It depends on what gears you have now, and the 2012 and up have more power, so less need to regear with 35's..

I have the 3.73 gears with 34" wheels, and I will not regear unless I get bigger wheels (37's). But I am happy with my 34's for now, as I do a lot of highway driving. Keeps the milage good and noise to a minimum. I also chose an A/T tire for that reason (Nitto Terra Grappler).
Old 01-09-2013, 04:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bonedoc
-----

As a previous post, I too have a 2012 Sahara 4dr but I ordered it as a 6 speed manual and with the 3.73 gears. When the JK was stock it had the 18" 5 star with 255/70/18 duelers. I believe that's equivalent to a 32". Anyway, the mpg reading from the inboard dash was an average of 19-20. Great torque and at 3500 rpm the power band kicks in with the new 285hp motor the 2012's have.

Now I have a 4" Teraflex lift, that I love, and 315/70/17, which is almost equivalent to 35 x 12.50. I haven't recalibrated the computer yet in the jeep and the same mpg reading is around 15-16... The power is almost the same but you can tell just slightly. Still a lot of fun though.

I saw a chart out there when I was deciding the tire size with the gears. It showed everything, even in manual vs. hp
Old 01-09-2013, 04:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would go for a 37. Just go easy on it till you put c gussets. Gears can come later if you want. I would also look at different tires. I heard km2 don't do so well in snow/rain and they don't run true to size
Old 01-09-2013, 04:33 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a daily driver so I would go with 35's. Toyo Open Country MT's run 34.75" so that's close to 35".

Here's a pic of mine with a 2.5" TF Coil Lift

Old 01-09-2013, 05:38 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by scooby snacks
It's a daily driver so I would go with 35's. Toyo Open Country MT's run 34.75" so that's close to 35".

Here's a pic of mine with a 2.5" TF Coil Lift

That's one sweet looking Jeep sir

Quick Reply: help me decide on tire size