Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

HELP Me: Issues after installing TF 2.5 BB & 35" Tires

Old 07-30-2008, 04:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bly109
The first thing that sticks out is your tire pressure
I dropped my Tire Pressure to 25 like you guys asked!! This really helped alot .. Its a huge difference... Why would the shop guys fill them at 35PSI wouldn't they know about this??

Originally Posted by Brdhoodlum
I corrected this problem with Upper Adjustable Control Arms
Originally Posted by duneslider
If your steering returns to center after a turn (by itself) then you have enough castor. Adding more could help but you should have plenty as is. A steering stabilizer will help too. The stock one is pretty weak.

How fast are you taking those turns when the esp kicks on?
Dropping the tires helped alot but i still think having more caster will help, as the steering wheel comes back only about 75% of the way.. I have to guide the rest of the way!!

what stabilizer shall i buy.... and i think i've read somewhere that you have to gas it down or something, this sounds complicated?!?!

The esp kicks on around maybe 30 or 40ish.... but seems alot better after the PSI drop

Originally Posted by BaltChief
From what I have seen, pretty spot on is not good enough. You need to be dead center.
I'm gonna have them recenter it to perfection when i get back into the shop, BTW is this something i could do by my self??

Originally Posted by Anhedrew
Upper adjustable control arms and caster set to about 6 deg fixed it for me. I am running pretty much the same setup.
what adjustable control arm do you guys recommend, if i'm gonna put one on... or are there really no differences....

Originally Posted by snippy
Drop the PSI, ignore the TPMS bells when you start it up.
I hear some dealerships can lower the TPMS PSI, so I'm going to check and see if mine can lower it to 25.
Thankx it helped alot... and i'm gonna ask the dealership if they will do this for me as even the 4x4 company takes there rides to em' so i don't think i'm gonna have any problems!!

Thank you all for the quick help.... I am gonna do all that you guys said to do, and i'll keep you posted... ALSO if anything else needs noted or suggested i'm open ears!!
Old 07-30-2008, 04:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Tire places are not always aware of correct inflation pressures with an AEM fitment. For example, if your Jeep came stock with P225/75R16 and calls for 33 PSI, the pressure for a 33"-35" tire is NOT going to be the same...it will invariably be lower. A bigger diameter tire can usually carry the same amount of weight with decreased inflation requirements. Now, you can always run a higher pressure (i.e. less contact patch with the road) for improved mileage, but the trade-off is poorer handling. I hope that makes it a little clearer.

Russ D.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:37 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by NASH-ROCKER
I dropped my Tire Pressure to 25 like you guys asked!! This really helped alot .. Its a huge difference... Why would the shop guys fill them at 35PSI wouldn't they know about this??

Dropping the tires helped alot but i still think having more caster will help, as the steering wheel comes back only about 75% of the way.. I have to guide the rest of the way!!

what stabilizer shall i buy.... and i think i've read somewhere that you have to gas it down or something, this sounds complicated?!?!

The esp kicks on around maybe 30 or 40ish.... but seems alot better after the PSI drop

I'm gonna have them recenter it to perfection when i get back into the shop, BTW is this something i could do by my self??

what adjustable control arm do you guys recommend, if i'm gonna put one on... or are there really no differences....

Thankx it helped alot... and i'm gonna ask the dealership if they will do this for me as even the 4x4 company takes there rides to em' so i don't think i'm gonna have any problems!!

Thank you all for the quick help.... I am gonna do all that you guys said to do, and i'll keep you posted... ALSO if anything else needs noted or suggested i'm open ears!!

Centering the steering wheel and basic alignment

Personally I love clayton's arms, but I dont think you could go wrong with Teraflex's or Currie's either. Give David at www.northridge4x4.com a call he'll hook you up!
Old 07-30-2008, 11:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Your caster definetly needs some improvement, but here is what I ran into with mine. I am no Guru by far. Just what I experienced.

I put a 2"BB on my 2door 08 and noticed the same flighty-ness..never could figure it out till after I got side swiped and flipped it. After that, I bought the 08 4dr Rubi. I installed a 4" Procomp lift and started experiencing the same problems.

Here's what I found..Discount Tire put way too much pressure in my tires when I bought em..50 PSI for some Nittos that I despised. I run at 28 now..lower milage but way better contol. I also went with a lower load range tire instead of the heavy Load range E Nitto. Swapping tired helped quite a bit

I used Woods Steering stabilizer relocator bracket.

And I added a front adjustable Trackbar..This helped the most. I know a lot of people say u dont need one till 4" or better but I think my 2" on the 2dr needed one as well..same feeling of flightiness.

I have no adjustable control arms yet and my ride is pretty smooth now.

Thats my 2 cents.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:50 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All good now? Sorry didn't see this post till now.

Quick Reply: HELP Me: Issues after installing TF 2.5 BB & 35" Tires