Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help me with my lift, buying this week

Old 05-01-2010, 08:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me with my lift, buying this week

deciding on lift. gonna go with TF, and trying to decide if i want a 4" or 3" and should i opt to buy the "full-flex arm" package as well, are they even necessary?

im going to run 35" tires and LOD front and rear bumper. im debating going to 5.38's due to me living in Colorado and the altitude seems to kill me a bit more so im going to pass on the 5.31's

so questions are... Full flex arm...yes or no and why?
is my plan for 5.38's gonna be a smart move or am i asking too much of my gas mileage to gain performance?

Last edited by couchpotato; 05-01-2010 at 08:27 AM.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go with the 4" because your going to loss a little when you install your bumpers, any where from 1/2 inch to 1 inch due to the weight of the bumper. On the gears go 5.38's all the way. Believe it or not you will get better fuel mileage because it want down shift as much with 5.38's as it will with 5.13's. I wanted 5.38's but don't have a rubi and don't have enough $ for a d44 front axle. About the full-flex arm's, I don't know the benefits of them but I would get them because it just sounds cool. Remember (5.38) thats the magic number. Good luck with your project.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:32 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont fear the gear!!! 5.38's!!

but long arm ktis ride alot better

and i'd go 4inch!
Old 05-01-2010, 12:51 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Decide on a tire size, then choose the lift. If you do a little browsing, (here, or right on the TeraFlex website) you'll find that the TF 3" coils give 4-5 inches of lift, and the TF 4" coils are in the 5-6" range - depending on model and added weight, of course..

TF 2.5" or 3" coils if you stay with 35's
TF 4" coils if you plan on 37's

If you don't go for the flex arms, what is your plan for adjusting the caster?
When you blow your driveshafts from the added height, how will you set the angles on the new shafts?

You might take a step back and browse through the FAQ's, then move on to some of the other TF lift threads and gearing threads and ...

Here is a blurb directly from the TF 4" lift

Note: Driveshaft modifications are required on all 2 door JK Wranglers & may be necessary on 4 door Unlimited with this suspension system.

Also Requires Adjustable Control arms for proper Alignment and rear axle pinion angle.

Last edited by nthinuf; 05-01-2010 at 12:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Help me with my lift, buying this week