Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help me plan the order of my mods...

Old 02-17-2008, 06:24 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me plan the order of my mods...

I've caught the bug. I never thought I'd be doing a bunch of modding, but here I am.

I ordered the Rugged Ridge XHD non-winch bumper and I'm waiting for it to arrive. I'm trying to decide what to do next.

I was thinking of going with an OME lift and new tires but I think that the OME lift will be overkill to me and my wallet. Everyone seems to rave about the TF BB so that is what I think that I will go with. Should I go with the TF w/ shock adapters or with the new shocks? I assume I could go with the shock adapters and upgrade the shocks later, I think that is what I will do.

$225.99

I want different tires too, but can't decide on which black rims I like the best. I have the stock 17" rims. I may just stick some 32-33" Cooper STT tires on there and change the rims some time in the future. I guess I would lose $70 on having them remounted but I can't decide on wheels at this time.

~$1000-1100 for a set of 5

I need a new stereo and speakers too but that can wait for the summer.

Does that sound like a good plan? Upgrade the rubber, TF 2.5" BB, and then switch out the wheels in a month or two when I can finally figure out which ones to go with.

This will be my daily driver with occasional muddy encounters, not really any rocks. Other than looks, would the 33 inch tires offer me any advantages over the 32 inch tires in the mud?

Thanks,

Tyler
Old 02-17-2008, 06:38 PM
JK Newbie

Here is what I have planned for the moment.

TF 2.5" BB $225.99
Cragar Soft 8s 16x8 5" Backspace $269.75 (or should I go with the 16x7 and 4" backspacing?)
Cooper STT LT285/75R16 $917.60
OR 265/75R16 - slightly less

Going from 17" to 16" will save me a couple hundred dollars and I probably won't even notice since I'm going for the all-black look.

Does this all look good?
Old 02-17-2008, 07:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Well - a mod path is what you're SUPPOSED to have.

What that means, is that you decide on your long term goas, and what you want the JK to do that it can't now....and work on correcting the deficiencies as your priority.

The ideal plan is modular...so you are not taking things off, replacing them....bu using everything you get, and adding to it over time as you have the $, and or fine tune your objectives.

If your PRIMARY terrain is mud, not rocks....your tire selection is too skinny...you need more flotation.

The STT's are nice...but you want FAT section width tires, and if getting new rims anyway...getting ones with less BS is easier.

The STT's are also good in mud, but...they are not the be all and end all tire choice either.

If 15" rims fit - then 15" 35 x 12.5/15's would be a cheaper yet rubber alternative...

In mud, TALLER tires help a lot too..the longer the foot print, the better the forward traction. 33's ARE better than 32's...but skinnier 33's, or 32's, are going to sink/bog down, etc.

Also - You need articulation for mud, as its slippery, and if you hang a tire due to a rut, high centering, etc...you're stuck.

A winch is a mud mod classic...so getting a winch bumper that can't mount a winch is not a good path....even if you get it w/o a winch on it...it ALLOWS you to get one later.

So - The 2.5" TF BB is fine....add a 1" BL to it and run 35's...THAT's going to work in the MUD way better than your original plan.

DO not bother getting a new bumper unless getting a winch...in the mud, it does nothing for you.

Take the money you were GOING to spend on the useless bumper that could not even mount a winch...and get a AUSSIE locker up front in your D30...its an easy driveway mod that anyone can do....and it will make a HUGE difference in your capabilities on the trail.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:45 AM
JK Newbie

I doubt I'll mount a winch any time soon. The mud I drive through is pretty tame compared to what most here drive through. My stock setup has made it through fine, I don't want to add a ton of stuff for something that I do maybe 5-10% of the time.

I think that 33x12.5 Cooper STT's and a BB would be more than enough to get me through most anything that I could throw at my Jeep around here.

It's my daily driver and sees quite a bit of highway use, I'm fairly reluctant to go bigger than 33s or higher than 2-2.5 inches on the lift.

I know, I'm a big wuss.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Rough Country lift with shock adapters is $140
Check it out: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-show-tell-33/my-sahara-happy-now-pics-29127/
Old 02-18-2008, 07:44 AM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tyler
I've caught the bug. I never thought I'd be doing a bunch of modding, but here I am.

I ordered the Rugged Ridge XHD non-winch bumper and I'm waiting for it to arrive. I'm trying to decide what to do next.

I was thinking of going with an OME lift and new tires but I think that the OME lift will be overkill to me and my wallet. Everyone seems to rave about the TF BB so that is what I think that I will go with. Should I go with the TF w/ shock adapters or with the new shocks? I assume I could go with the shock adapters and upgrade the shocks later, I think that is what I will do.

$225.99

I want different tires too, but can't decide on which black rims I like the best. I have the stock 17" rims. I may just stick some 32-33" Cooper STT tires on there and change the rims some time in the future. I guess I would lose $70 on having them remounted but I can't decide on wheels at this time.

~$1000-1100 for a set of 5

I need a new stereo and speakers too but that can wait for the summer.

Does that sound like a good plan? Upgrade the rubber, TF 2.5" BB, and then switch out the wheels in a month or two when I can finally figure out which ones to go with.

This will be my daily driver with occasional muddy encounters, not really any rocks. Other than looks, would the 33 inch tires offer me any advantages over the 32 inch tires in the mud?

Thanks,

Tyler
My opinion:
33" tires with a full 2.5" lift look a bit small. I think the Full Traction 2" lift (2" in front and 1.5" in rear) with 33's looks good.

I like the idea of the shock extenders, if you are using stock shocks and driving on rocks. But is there a benefit to muddin?

If you want really good shocks for cheap, you may consider picking up a set of Rubi take-offs.

If you can make a decision and pick a wheel, I would recommend going to a 15" wheel. Moving to a 15" wheel (or even 16") will save you money on tires.

I'd guess you can do all of the above with new wheels for the same money (assuming you aren't buying really expensive wheels...)

Sorry if I'm stirring the pot here

Quick Reply: Help me plan the order of my mods...