Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP - Mud Puddle Nightmare

Old 08-17-2017, 07:46 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LightningEagle7
Alright folks, hang onto your hats. This story is a doozy.

So earlier today me and a few friends were wheeling on Peter's Mill Run in the beautiful George Washington National Forest (really fun run, btw). We made it about 8/10 of the way through we drove by a tempting puddle of mud. After a few minutes of consideration and some adolescent peer pressure (you can see where this is going, I'm sure.) we decided to give it a shot. I drove back around, lined myself up, got some speed, and went for it. WELP. I made it about five feet into the obstacle and my engine stalled. The water was decently high, it came to just above the top of my bumper. Another friend of mine who happened to be on the trail about 30 min behind us found us, stumbled upon our rather precarious situation, and after telling me I'm an idiot a good few times, managed to help get us out.

We let it sit on the trail for a few minutes to drain some of the water out, and then attempted to start the engine. I did not hear any clicking sound associated with water lock, but the engine would not turn over. I opened up the hood and took a look around there was mud and water everywhere. I opened up my cold air intake, and low and be hold there is about 2.5 inches of water at the bottom and the filter itself is filthy and wet. I took the filter out, and disassembled the rest of the after market intake manifold and then drained the box of its watery contents, then examined the everything. My maf was pretty dirty, and there was some more water in the manifold, however there was very little dirt and water around the throttle body. I reassembled everything, and low and behold the engine turned over. As expected, the check engine light was on. The only audible issue was a light ticking sound coming from what sound like the front of the engine. I also noticed the throttle response was very lagy.

I was able to gimp through the rest of the trail and the 50 or so miles home to Springfield. I busted out the good old code reader, and plugged it in to find a laundry list of problems. P06DD (DUAL STAGE OIL PUMP STUCK LOW), P000D (CAMSHAFT 2 POSITION SLOW RESPONSE), P0394 (CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR 'B' CIRCUIT INTERMITTENT BANK 2), P0016 (CAMSHAFT POSITION CORRELATION - BANK 1 SENSOR A), and P0017 (CAMSHAFT POSITION CORRELATION - BANK 1 SENSOR B). It seems to me that this could be caused by a short circuit from the water, getting water in the oil, and damaging the oil pump.

I plan on cleaning the hell out of the engine bay tomorrow, cleaning the intake, changing my oil, changing my gas, and then changing my spark plugs. After that, I'm taking it into the dealership to see what they can do about an oil pump.

I guess what I need help with, is what else could be wrong to cause the camshaft codes? And how screwed is my wallet going to be?

Thanks in advance!

I hope you get everything sorted out man. Im dealing with issues due to a Superchips tuner so I can relate to not having your jeep where you want it to be. Ever thought about trying an engine flush 2-3 ties and going from there?
Old 08-19-2017, 08:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nothing a checkbook, a pen, two weeks, and about $15,000.00 can't fix.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Won't help now, but in the future pull the plugs before turning it over so you don't crack a head or bend a rod.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If water (even a small amount) got into the engine, you are very lucky it even turned over. Or unlucky (if the tick was caused by it)

As zstairlessone said in a situation like this, the first thing to do would have been to clean and dry out the intake. I leave the filter out if its wet until it dries. Next take the plugs out. Turn the engine over and watch the water works. Dry it out, put your plugs back in and if your lucky enough for it to start up, drive it home. I have seen some force the engine to turn over (like pull starting it) and end up with a knock that turns into a hole in the block due to a bent rod. When I was in the similar situation and after drying, pulling plugs, cranking, and putting plugs back in, I was able to fire mine up. It ran like crap all the way home but I got it home. After swapping out O2 sensors that got contaminated I was all good.

Quick Reply: HELP - Mud Puddle Nightmare