Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help with pinion angles and castor? Newb!

Old 12-05-2013, 12:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tklein42
OP keep us updated. Im going through the stages for my first time and would rather not waste my money on minimal gains Btw for your time
Minimal gains regarding what? The change in castor?
Old 12-05-2013, 03:02 PM
JK Junkie

Stock is around 2* at the pinion which puts caster around 4*

Measure of your pinion flange. Not the lower C like some will do.

1* at the pinion flange = 5* caster
0* (90) = 6* caster

And so on ....
Old 12-05-2013, 06:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So all you are trying to do is change the pinion angle because it LOOKS bad? Your not worried about caster?

How does the Jeep drive? Any flighty steering feeling? What is your caster now?

If you lower your pinion much at all, my guess is you are going to throw your caster so far out of a decent degree that you in turn will get very flighty steering.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:18 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sahara Lee
I have a 4" lift and 35s (actually 315/70R17) too. My lift manufacturer recommends 4.6 degrees caster +/- 1.0. Although I don't have adjustable control arms, I do have Rancho control arm correction brackets. My caster is about 5 degrees and the steering and handling are great.

You can't adjust both pinion angle and caster without modifying the axle tube (rotating "C"s). To me, correct caster is more important than pinion angle. Caster affects steering while pinion angle is not as critical IMNHO because as a rule, we don't drive over 45 mph in 4WD. The front drive shaft has no load on it at higher speed so it won't wear prematurely even with a 10 degree (pinion shaft to drive shaft) angle.

Going with an after-market drive shaft is supposed to help. I've looked at the design of the dual-Cardan CV and frankly I'm not impressed. Why doesn't someone just make a front axle with 2 true CV joints like the stock rear drive shaft has but able to operate at an even higher angle? That would be the bomb.

BTW - The pictures below are at maximum travel, full extension. The only time this should happen on the road is if I'm pretending to be General Lee instead of Sahara Lee. On my 2010 Sahara Unlimited with automatic the front drive shaft doesn't rub and in spite of what the last picture looks like, the CV at the TC still rotates freely without damaging the boot.

BBTW - The XClinometer app for Androids (also available for iPhones) is excellent for checking angles.
XClinometer (+bubble-level) - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com
A couple items here. Wear is not what you are worried about on your driveshaft with a poor pinion angle. It is the vibrations you will get at freeway speeds. You can blow up your transfer case which is not pleasant. Also an aftermarket double cardin driveshaft will be worse with a bad pinion angle than the OEM shaft. You need to just lower the castor until vibes disappear and that is what you will have to live with.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:52 PM
JK Super Freak

No I'm not trying to change pinion angle because it looks bad. My pinion angle along with my driveshaft angle is what sparked my interest. After getting a angle finder I realized that my pinion angle is about 88 deg. Reading from the circles on the front of the axle. The castor seemed to be about 7 degrees. With corrections on this I should be able to dial it in and possibly get a lighter feeling in the steering and stop the flighty feeling. It's not terrible but it's there.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bombout800
No I'm not trying to change pinion angle because it looks bad. My pinion angle along with my driveshaft angle is what sparked my interest. After getting a angle finder I realized that my pinion angle is about 88 deg. Reading from the circles on the front of the axle. The castor seemed to be about 7 degrees. With corrections on this I should be able to dial it in and possibly get a lighter feeling in the steering and stop the flighty feeling. It's not terrible but it's there.
Using the angle finder is to get you in the ballpark, so to speak. The ground might be on a 2 degree slope and givining you a different reading than actual. Take it to a shop!
Old 12-06-2013, 04:23 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GunDude
Using the angle finder is to get you in the ballpark, so to speak. The ground might be on a 2 degree slope and givining you a different reading than actual. Take it to a shop!
Pull your driveshaft and measure off the pinion directly. You are going to want to just barely eliminate any driveshaft vibes and that will be your optimum castor angle.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:41 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Like JKZinger said,set your pinion first to take care of any vibes.What's left is your is your caster which should be liveable
Old 12-09-2013, 11:04 AM
JK Super Freak

So my 13/16" drill bit was supposed to come Friday for my draglink flip and got delayed. So it arrives today and I realized I don't have a drill that accepts a 1/2" bit. Finally found one and was pressed for time. Stopped by a local shop to get them to install it and what did I forget??? The bag full of all the bolts nuts an washers to get the job done. Day was full of fail! So, I'm gonna sleep it off tonight and I'm going to do it myself tomorrow!

Quick Reply: Help with pinion angles and castor? Newb!