Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help please!!

Old 09-10-2012, 02:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please!!

I Have a 2010 Wrangler unlimited with a Teraflex 2.5" suspension lift, with the KMC XD Series Rockstar rim 17", wrapped with BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain KM2 tire 33". Well heres the dirty, when im driving on the street truck rides ok, when i hit highway speed of 65-70 my truck is all over the place I mean blowing around in the wind, or just having to constantly make corrections, hard to explain kinda floating not really planted. Also ive had the traction control randomly turn on because of this and scare me and the drivers around me going from 70 to 50 in the left lane isnt really safe. First thought was steering stabilizer so i bought the Teraflex steering stabilizer, little better not a long term fix. I was thinking that the Teraflex stabilizer was kinda dinky for those tires so i ordered the Sky Jacker Dual Stabilizer. Really need some help Im at a loss dont want to keep throwing away money guessing how to solve this. i figure someone here will be able to help, someone must've come across this before!

One thing im not sure of is what is my tire suppose to be inflated too, the psi on door, or psi on the tire i assume the tire since the door one is for a smaller size tire, the tire psi reads 65 cold, so that is where they are inflated to.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:38 PM
JK Freak

Your psi should be around 35 at most I would think and did you align and balance the wheels?
Old 09-10-2012, 03:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whoa man. Lower that tire psi ASAP! That is the maximum tire inflation pressure for the load rating. Meaning if they are load rating E they can go on anything up to a 1 ton truck. A 10,000 lb truck needs that 65psi because it's heavy. Do a search on the forum for " chalk test" and that is how you find your perfect psi. Running them at 65 is only going to wear out your tread in the center ( cause there is not enough weight on the tire for it to ride level) and cause dangerous handling.

As for your traction control coming on, the only time that happened to me my steering wheel wasn't centered. Another free easy fix if you have 30 mins and a 15mm wrench.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:08 AM
JK Newbie

Did an alignment and centered the wheel when I did my lift, as for the tires I did exactly that lowered them down to 35. Tirerack had inflated them I just assumed they knew what they were doing oh well. Driving the truck after airing down those tires it's like driving two different trucks, thanks guys!
Old 09-11-2012, 04:16 PM
JK Freak

Glad to hear that did it! When I first put on my lift and tires, I test drove it w/o lowering the pressure and mine did the same thing.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:23 PM
Vin
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ricksjeep10
Glad to hear that did it! When I first put on my lift and tires, I test drove it w/o lowering the pressure and mine did the same thing.
I'm running a similar set up, on a 2 door with Mickey Thompson wheels and Duratracs. The tire company initially inflated the tires to 40 psi. I lowered them to 30 psi and the ride was greatly improved. Recently I went down to 27 psi and the ride is great and I can still get 18+ mpg highway. I'd go down and try 30 psi.

Quick Reply: Help please!!