Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help and Question? Lockers

Old 06-08-2008, 03:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help and Question? Lockers

Just had 5.13's installed on my Rubicon. Testing the lockers Rear will engage in 4 low but when I try and unengage the light blinks even if I turn the Jeep of still blinks. The front will not engage at all just blinks. Also when I try and turn with the front trying to engage it feels like I have an issue with my steering. It’s hard to turn the front tires. Almost like the ESP is kicking in.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:13 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Twisty101
Just had 5.13's installed on my Rubicon. Testing the lockers Rear will engage in 4 low but when I try and unengage the light blinks even if I turn the Jeep of still blinks. The front will not engage at all just blinks. Also when I try and turn with the front trying to engage it feels like I have an issue with my steering. It’s hard to turn the front tires. Almost like the ESP is kicking in.
Jack up your Jeep and figure out if your lockers are 'truely' not engaging... I had the same problem when I had my 5.13's installed... turned out the lockers were engaging fine however the locker sensor/switch that sits in the pumpkin ended up getting broke during the install. This only thing this little switch (in the pumpkin) does is tell your dash that the lockers are or are not engaged... and if it senses something wrong, it'll blink. I'll put money that the computer in your Jeep sees the locker button "on" but the switch in the pumpkin is NOT working so the computer thinks there's an issue. Once you jack it up and confirm the true position of the locker, if they are working, you just need to buy two new switches. Installing them w/out taking the axle shafts out is a little tricky but can be done. The fact that you mentioned your front end feels real weird like it doesn't want to turn tells me the front is most likely working... that's the feeling you'll get if you're on pavement... and btw... don't run w/them on pavement very much... you'll jack $hit up.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. Why do you think the rear is still blinking? I took a turn and it seem dis engaged.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:22 PM
JK Freak

If the rear isn't engaging, maybe they didn't plug the locker back in (there's a plug on the pumkin)... Seems too simple, but I'd check that first.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

It fully engages light turns solid. Then it will unengage but the light still blinks. Looks like I am going to have to take it to the dealer.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:26 PM
JK Newbie

I went through this last month on my 08' with 4.88s. I had to take it to the dealer and the final prognosis was a bad locker sensor. According to the dealer the flashing light is an indicator for a multitude of problem codes. First they replaced my entire sway bay disconnect and disco comptuer system ($1800.00). Oh well, their dime. Mine did not have any of the driving quirks, just the flashing rear locker light. The good news is that the dealer didn't say anything about the lift and 35's or gears.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

I hope they cover it since I have 37's. It should be ok to drive correct?
Old 06-08-2008, 06:10 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Twisty101
I hope they cover it since I have 37's. It should be ok to drive correct?

As long as your lockers are not engaged while driving down the road and you don't hear any weird 'clicking' noises, I'd suspect you'll be fine. Who ever did the gears needs to flip the bill for this repair. The locker sensors/switches are about $40-something each... so it's not too bad.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for all the help. No clicking noises. Drove the Jeep around and no tire barking. My installer sucks. Already had issues on my lift install so it looks like dealer or another installer.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:38 PM
JK Super Freak

There should be a minimum warranty of everything done to your jeep.

Take it back to where it was installed.

Give them the opp to do so.

If they continue to fail, take your business and money elsewhere.

And thrash them everywhere you can.

Quick Reply: Help and Question? Lockers