Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help with rockrawler HD tie-rod length

Old 07-10-2010, 09:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with rockrawler HD tie-rod length

i've had the RK-HD tie rod in for about two years and wanted to do routine maintenence and had trouble loosening the locknuts and finally did but was cycling the tie-rod ends all the way in and then all the way out, you know...threading the tie-rod ends in all the way into the tie-rod then out....to make sure the threads was'nt rusting...so i forgot to take down the measurement and now am wondering how long the damn thing should be...if i get it wrong wont it throw off my toe adjustment?

another thing i noticed is the tie-rod when im turning the tie-rod towards the rear of the vehicle the driver side end is lengthening and the passenger side end is shortening..

isnt it supposed to be either toeing in or out depending on which way i turn it?
Old 07-10-2010, 10:02 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roguejk
i've had the RK-HD tie rod in for about two years and wanted to do routine maintenence and had trouble loosening the locknuts and finally did but was cycling the tie-rod ends all the way in and then all the way out, you know...threading the tie-rod ends in all the way into the tie-rod then out....to make sure the threads was'nt rusting...so i forgot to take down the measurement and now am wondering how long the damn thing should be...if i get it wrong wont it throw off my toe adjustment?

another thing i noticed is the tie-rod when im turning the tie-rod towards the rear of the vehicle the driver side end is lengthening and the passenger side end is shortening..

isnt it supposed to be either toeing in or out depending on which way i turn it?
Well, as far as a measurement goes, it's all up in the air and there is no "definite" answer. I usually go 1/8" toe-in. So, measure the front of the tires at a set point and set that number 1/8" less than the measurement of the rear of the tires at the same fixed point.

As far as the turnbuckle goes, as you twist it, the tire should be going the same way, either in or out, not opposite from each other.

Quick Reply: help with rockrawler HD tie-rod length