Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help. Stuck on the side of the road...

Old 04-25-2014, 06:58 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SayreJK07
Yep....2. One at 30k miles by Chrysler under warranty for the previous owner and one by me 90k miles later. Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
do you not maintain your engines?
Old 04-25-2014, 07:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The first one that was replaced bu Chrysler for the original owner was a rod or something. The one that I replaced had a bad number 5 cylinder and piston that was allowing oil to get by. This may have been caused by a bad overheating I had in traffic on the interstate. The radiator fins did have some dirt in them that could have been limiting air flow. So I guess I can take the blame for that. I have been in plenty of mud before with other vehicles and never had this happen though. The oil blow by is probably the cause of the bad cats though. I have had some things change in my life like a separation and moving to a condo without a hose or anything and hadn't cleaned the radiator like I could have, but I was doing more with my kids and life at the time because that was more important than the Jeep. So like I said, I will take the blame for the second motor even though I believe it should have lasted.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2014, 06:37 AM
JK Junkie

Kudos to your priorities! With your jeep however, maintenance is essential for any vehicle. As for bad cats, a motor less cared for could contribute to that. Bad rings are usually indicative of dirt intake (bad or improper air filter), infrequent oil changes, overheating, etc. Every vehicle I have owned states in the manual to be sure to clean and inspect after any heavy water, mud or sand exposure. It's an engine, it doesn't care for itself. Additionally, mud in the radiator? Those fins need to be clean to dissipate heat. $.75 at a car wash with gentle pressure would have helped.

All I'm saying is engines don't typically fail that often unless care wasn't in place. No judgement, but as an owner of a vehicle, we are responsible for the care and maintenance of that vehicle. You have kids, a vehicle in good running order is important if they are in it, don't you think?

Last edited by Jeepstin12; 04-26-2014 at 06:43 AM.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:16 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
Kudos to your priorities! With your jeep however, maintenance is essential for any vehicle. As for bad cats, a motor less cared for could contribute to that. Bad rings are usually indicative of dirt intake (bad or improper air filter), infrequent oil changes, overheating, etc. Every vehicle I have owned states in the manual to be sure to clean and inspect after any heavy water, mud or sand exposure. It's an engine, it doesn't care for itself. Additionally, mud in the radiator? Those fins need to be clean to dissipate heat. $.75 at a car wash with gentle pressure would have helped. All I'm saying is engines don't typically fail that often unless care wasn't in place. No judgement, but as an owner of a vehicle, we are responsible for the care and maintenance of that vehicle. You have kids, a vehicle in good running order is important if they are in it, don't you think?

Agree 100% with Jeepstin....
as a matter fact I believe that the maintenance we do to our rigs should be as a preventive measure
Not to fix something that has already broken.
not even talk about some people that complain about their jeeps after not doing a single check in 5 years....
the only problem in my case is that when I take somethin apart an put it back together , end up with
some bolts, nuts in my pocket that I forgot to put back....LOL.LOL
Old 04-26-2014, 09:03 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by danny767
Agree 100% with Jeepstin.... as a matter fact I believe that the maintenance we do to our rigs should be as a preventive measure Not to fix something that has already broken. not even talk about some people that complain about their jeeps after not doing a single check in 5 years.... the only problem in my case is that when I take somethin apart an put it back together , end up with some bolts, nuts in my pocket that I forgot to put back....LOL.LOL
yep! I did that once, with the rear track bar holy. Forgot to torque the nut. Fortunately, I caught it and knew what it was on the first turn and felt the rear axle shift! Damn I got lucky!
Old 04-26-2014, 11:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Air filter was clean and the radiator area always gets sprayed off at the car wash, but really without removing the top shroud/cover and getting down in there good, you are missing out on cleaning about 55% of the actual radiator fins. The only part you can spray off is what is behind the fan and that doesn't even work out the best. I would suggest pulling the entire radiator out once a year if you were in as much deep muddy water as I have been in. I am a kid when it comes to a mud pit, but those days are over.

Old 04-26-2014, 11:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Oh, and our car washes are $1.75... I'd love it if we had $.75 ones.

Old 04-26-2014, 01:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Inside picture of the catalytic convertor

Old 04-26-2014, 02:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Got the entire Y pipe out and broke up the catalyst that was clogging things up...

Good catalytic convertor...

Bad one...

Old 04-26-2014, 03:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ordered the entire Y pipe, including the 4 catalytic convertors from Amazon for $396. That's a $100 or so cheaper than anywhere else I could find it. Stealership wanted $1100...lol

Quick Reply: Help. Stuck on the side of the road...