Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Timken Bearing Speed Sensor Replacement - JK

Old 02-14-2017, 05:05 PM
Lex
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Timken Bearing Speed Sensor Replacement - JK

Hi guys need someone who has had experience replacing the speed sensor on Timken bearings (part - HA590242) on an Jeep JK.

I think the speed sensor on mine are faulty, its throwing abs, esp error. However, the factory speed sensors don't fit into the Timken bearings. Visually the Timken speed sensor has a more rounded end, where as the factory Jeep one has a more squarish end.

If anyone can shed any light on where I can get a speed sensor that fits these bearings that would be great.

Thanks
Alex
Old 02-14-2017, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Following....but it's odd that the factory sensor wouldn't fit in the Timken housing. I may be holding on to a couple extra sensors for no good reason.

Local auto parts store had a sensor that fit the stock bearing. Is your location accurate?
Old 02-14-2017, 09:30 PM
Lex
JK Newbie

I'll triple check it this weekend and pull the thing apart for a photo.

I remember trying to install the factory sensors because disconnecting the sensors from the plug behind the shock tower was too painful. But it wouldn't fit.

Keep you posted.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I bought Timkin replacement unit bearings they came with sensors. I didn't know you could get them without sensors.

Edit: I just reread your post. I see now the sensors you got with the bearings have gone bad and you need replacements.

Last edited by Biginboca; 02-15-2017 at 01:35 AM.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:21 AM
JK Newbie

I recently had this issue and after trying to make my spare OEM sensor fit with my Timken bearings and failing I called Timken. They confirmed that you need to use their sensors with their Timken unit bearings. As you would suspect the Timken sensors are not sold separately.

A regional Timken sales rep here in Southern California did send me two free replacement bearings after I described my problem to him.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:29 AM
JK Freak

I find this really surprising. I just bought the same bearing/hub assemblies in 2016 and put my stock wheel speed sensor in. Worked just fine.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by PsychoCupcake
I find this really surprising. I just bought the same bearing/hub assemblies in 2016 and put my stock wheel speed sensor in. Worked just fine.
The 11+ has a different part number with the longer ABS harness....maybe they incorporated the change in size with it?

The 11+ harness fits stock 07-10 bearings
Old 02-15-2017, 04:00 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by karls10jk
The 11+ has a different part number with the longer ABS harness....maybe they incorporated the change in size with it? The 11+ harness fits stock 07-10 bearings
Ya this was on my 2012 so I don't know.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:10 AM
Lex
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by d-rap
I recently had this issue and after trying to make my spare OEM sensor fit with my Timken bearings and failing I called Timken. They confirmed that you need to use their sensors with their Timken unit bearings. As you would suspect the Timken sensors are not sold separately.

A regional Timken sales rep here in Southern California did send me two free replacement bearings after I described my problem to him.
Awesome, I thought I was going crazy for a sec. Terrible that you can't get them separately. I've tried with Timken Australia but no luck. Might try Timken USA.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:49 PM
JK Newbie

Default Timken wheel stud not OEM size

I too installed Timken unit bearings 2010 JKUR based upon experience with the brand. Today I broke a wheel stud - local auto parts do not stock so I bought one from local Jeep dealership for about $10. Get home and try to install and remember my hubs are not OEM - they are Timken. The OEM stud is too large knurl diameter to fit into the Timken hub hole. I measured and think I found something that will work. I ordered them and will install and report back - for now the part found is Dorman # 610.395.1 with 0.582" knurl diameter.

Side note I called Timken and spoke to customer service - the only thing they could tell me was the thread size 1/2 x 20. After going round and round they put me to an engineer and all he could tell me was thread size 1/2 x 20. After a bit I told him he was no help and thanked him for his time. Reading above that Timken really doesn't make this part - now makes sense why they could not answer my question. I even ask if I could buy the stud directly from Timken was told no - just return unit bearing to Rock Auto for warranty, I told him that is crazy when a wheel stud is a $2-3 part plus all the labor to remove unit bearing.

Jeep on my friends

Quick Reply: Help with Timken Bearing Speed Sensor Replacement - JK