Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

HighRock 4x4 Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier by Bestop

Old 12-10-2011, 04:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On my list

I have been looking for a Bumper forever. Dunno how I missed this one. Great thread and thanks for the pics.

Yo, rubi3. What part of Mt. Airy are you in. I'm not sure Iv'e seen your ride around town and not sure I could miss it. Pm me if you want I'd like to check out your ride.

Gary
Old 12-10-2011, 07:44 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by currdog
Thanks for sharing all the pics. Definitely helps sell it better than bestops website.

Looks like a turnbuckle is the primary connection of the carrier to the tailgate. Does it work well? The single action to get in the tailgate is one of the primary reasons I'm looking at this bumper.

Looks like your brake light goes through the hub of your spare, is that the 'light relocation' that comes with the kit or is that another aftermarket part?
Single action was a requirement for me. Really more for the wife than me. Raining. Kids. Groceries. Needs to be as easy as possible. Works perfectly. The wheel is up as tight as possible. The only play is in the connector (by design) for when you open it. Very little. When I close the gate the tire bounces about a 1/2 inch 2 or three times and stops. I imagine over every bump this happens. I can't tell. I worried about it pulling the tailgate but it doesn't due to the solid mount and spreading over 4 bolts. When I bounce the tire hard myself continuously there is no movement of the tailagate wall.

I drove 300 miles last night and inspected everything and everything is solid. The only rattle was from my CB antenna. There is a place for me to put the antenna at the top of the carrier but I want to be able to close the gate with window open do I mounted the teraflex cb antenna mount lower. But it does hit he connector and rattles sometimes. Honestly with the noise from the mufflers and my dog crate I can't hear the antenna or tailgate. Will monitor for rubbing damage but t looks like my setup will hold up.

It has two fire extinguisher mounts and the hilift jack mount. I'm not sure but it looks like you can mount an LOD rotopax mount where the fire extinguishers would go. Either welding, or bolting. Maybe drilling bigger holes. This is a mod I will try and report on.

Brake light. I just cut the wires 3" from stock light an used the one that came with the bumper. It's bright, works perfectly and with it in the wheel I can know see more in my mirror.

Really happy. I can't believe I paid $700 for a bumper with all these features.

The hitch looks real solid and is secured by two bolts and is integrated in bumper. The lines/angles are really cool looking.

Real happy. I think you all would be too. If you are cost minded and want a single action open close, then this is for you.

Worth the wait!

Most 4 wheel parts will let you do 12 months interest free on purchases over 750. $75/mo for this bumper. I paid for it in september and have been paying it down since. Almost regretting it. Almost cancelled the order. Now I'm glad I did it as it looks like I got he first one and it's only costing me an extra gas tank per month.

Other than the wait, everything about his purchase has been top notch.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Appreciate the detailed review. Was a bit worried that it might be a dud since it took 2 years for them to get it to market. Will be ordering it this week.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:39 AM
JK Freak

I think the delay was to allow for up to 40" tires where original design only allowed up to 37".

I will try to put up some video on YouTube. And more pictures in day time.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Never thought I would like a bumper from Bestop.....but, I like.

Thanks for the pics.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Old 12-10-2011, 10:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Great write up and info. You helped me make my decision. The fact you have the same wheels I do shows you have excellent taste

Now all I have to do is actually locate one of these... The hunt is on...
Old 12-10-2011, 10:58 AM
JK Freak

YouTube 10 minute review coming as soon as I have wifi connection.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1239443271.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	248118   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2486502426.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	248119   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-381200518.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	248120  
Old 12-10-2011, 01:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

As soon as my wife will let me I'm ordering this bumper. At least it should be easier to get when she does. Darn kids and Christmas.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:00 PM
JK Freak

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJpwvoJzajc

Hopefully YouTube link works and review helps you guys make a decision.

I finally feel like I'm making a contribution after learning so much on this forum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJpwvoJzajc
Old 12-10-2011, 02:25 PM
JK Newbie

How is the rear view in the cab I really like this bumper but want to adjust the tire down like on the smitty built what size tires do you have

Quick Reply: HighRock 4x4 Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier by Bestop