Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Hitch mount bike racks?

Old 11-03-2007, 12:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitch mount bike racks?

Anyone having any clearance issues with hitch mount bike racks and 33+ on a swing out carrier?

Thanks
Old 11-03-2007, 01:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did .. I just cut mine and added 24 in extension ....
Old 11-03-2007, 06:36 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by pe_jeep
Anyone having any clearance issues with hitch mount bike racks and 33+ on a swing out carrier?

Thanks
I have a Yakima Hook Up 2 bike hitch mount rack. With my stock Rubicon spare on the stock tire carrier, I can only use the outer most bike slot. If I upgrade tires and the tire carrier, I may either have to pull pedals, buy an extension, or get the Plus 2 2 bike add on.

And the only way to open the swing gate is to pull the rack off the Jeep.

-Glen
Old 04-22-2008, 01:34 PM
JK Newbie

I just installed the Thule 964 Revolver on my '08 Wrangler Unlimited (4-door) Sahara.

I was concerned about the "fit" from all the posts about racks not clearing the spare tire, but this rack fits PERFECTLY...without any hitch extensions.

I visited a local bike store to talk about racks that would fit a Wrangler (actually was interested in the Saris T-Rax Pro and Thule 964 Revolver before walking in there) and they happened to have the Thule 964 displayed and put together already. I figured we'd solve this "does it fit on a Wrangler or not" problem real quick, so I asked the guy to bring it outside and slide it into my hitch receiver to check it out.

We slid it in, lined it up and tightened it up and it fit perfectly. Problem solved.

It clears the stock 18" spare AND you can lower/raise the two bars that the bikes sit on down (in its folded position) and back up again (in its "bike holding" position) without making contact with the spare tire. In it's up position and when it's tighted to the hitch receiver, you have clearance about the size of the thickness of a pencil between the tire and the closest part of the rack.

Yes, this rack is pricey at around $400...but I decided on it and against the Saris because...1) I now had first-hand evidence that the Thule 964 fit my Jeep Wrangler, 2) I've owned other Thule racks and I know they're solid and have a good reputation...I actually know nothing about Saris and would have been taking a leap of faith in the area of quality/build, etc.. The Thule is solid with very little "give", 3) I ski in the winter, so I left open the option of adding on a ski/snowboard rack (to the bike rack) when the time comes, whereas Saris doesn't offer an add-on/attachment like that, 4) the swingout feature on the Thule is optimal for me and my family of 4...I know there will be times where my wife, kids and I will be driving somewhere to go bike riding and we'll need to stop somewhere, for some reason, and someone will need to get something out of the back and we'll be able to easily access the cargo area without having to remove the bikes, 5) the Saris sticks out an extra 5-6" from the receiver, which is good because it will give you MORE clearance from your spare tire if you need it, but I ultimately looked at that as a negative because I want my rack to be optimal on other vehicles too. For example, my wife drives a Toyota Sienna minivan...and if she ever wanted to go bike riding with or without the kids and knew she wouldn't have access to my Jeep, the Saris would (appear to) be sticking out sooo much further on a non-Jeep vehicle because of that extra clearance. It would still function just fine, but that was more of an aesthetic concern for me, 6) it fits!

That's it. I wanted to post this and help anyone out there who is on the same quest that I was just on.

Quick Reply: Hitch mount bike racks?