Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Hitch Mounted Bike Racks for 2007 Wrangler???

Old 01-01-2007, 08:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitch Mounted Bike Racks for 2007 Wrangler???

I've checked with the major rack companies and cannot find a hitch mounted bike rack that folds down allowing for the rear door to open, AND that is out far enough to accomodate the tire. Any ideas??
Old 01-01-2007, 09:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the Mopar branded hitch mount 4 bike rack. It is out far enough for the spare. I can open the door about 1 1/2 ft when i fold down the rack.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:37 PM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks for comments

Is it the Mopar hitch for 2007 or earlier. The 2007 is different than previous years, the tire is lower. This creates clearance problems with Thule and several of the others for the fold down ones.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can always buy one and take it to a machine shop and have them weld some extra length on it. They could also rig up something that would be on a hinge so you could swing it away.

I also used the one that went over the tire on my TJ and it worked fine
Old 01-02-2007, 02:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

My mopar bike rack was purchased a few years back.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Do a google search for Swagman racks. I use one on my TJ. It clears the spare, and folds to allow the gate to open.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:17 PM
JK Newbie

I have a Bike Rack that mounts thru a plate and a stem that goes thru the hub cap hole in my Rubicon spare tire. It holds two road bikes from the top tube and came with extensions that support two mountain bikes. The added weight does not cause any problems with the stock back door. Also, The rack comes off without removing the spare tire. The rack is made by Surco Products.The back gate works as stock.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:08 PM
JK Newbie

I bought a Yakima 4-bike hitch mounted rack (I think the KingPin model). It pivots down with no bikes on it so you can get the swing gate open. However, the lower piece did not come out far enough, so I went to the local steel store and bought about a 30" long piece of 2x2 tube. My buddy has a welder, so we just made a new lower arm piece that allows the upright piece to clear the spare.

Extra piece of steel cost me about $10. Weld job cost me a 6-pack of beer
Old 01-05-2007, 12:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

I ended up getting the Thule Spare-me rack that mounts on the spare tire mount. It carries two bikes with no problems and is easily foldable and removeable. I also got the ski rack attachment which I haven't used yet.

Carried 2 bikes on it for 400 miles through the recent Denver Blizzards. No problem with weight or anything.

Didn't get a hitch mount cuz I don't have a hitch receiver.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:37 PM
JK Newbie

I just installed the Thule 964 Revolver on my '08 Wrangler Unlimited (4-door) Sahara.

I was concerned about the "fit" from all the posts about racks not clearing the spare tire, but this rack fits PERFECTLY...without any hitch extensions.

I visited a local bike store to talk about racks that would fit a Wrangler (actually was interested in the Saris T-Rax Pro and Thule 964 Revolver before walking in there) and they happened to have the Thule 964 displayed and put together already. I figured we'd solve this "does it fit on a Wrangler or not" problem real quick, so I asked the guy to bring it outside and slide it into my hitch receiver to check it out.

We slid it in, lined it up and tightened it up and it fit perfectly. Problem solved.

It clears the stock 18" spare AND you can lower/raise the two bars that the bikes sit on down (in its folded position) and back up again (in its "bike holding" position) without making contact with the spare tire. In it's up position and when it's tighted to the hitch receiver, you have clearance about the size of the thickness of a pencil between the tire and the closest part of the rack.

Yes, this rack is pricey at around $400...but I decided on it and against the Saris because...1) I now had first-hand evidence that the Thule 964 fit my Jeep Wrangler, 2) I've owned other Thule racks and I know they're solid and have a good reputation...I actually know nothing about Saris and would have been taking a leap of faith in the area of quality/build, etc.. The Thule is solid with very little "give", 3) I ski in the winter, so I left open the option of adding on a ski/snowboard rack (to the bike rack) when the time comes, whereas Saris doesn't offer an add-on/attachment like that, 4) the swingout feature on the Thule is optimal for me and my family of 4...I know there will be times where my wife, kids and I will be driving somewhere to go bike riding and we'll need to stop somewhere, for some reason, and someone will need to get something out of the back and we'll be able to easily access the cargo area without having to remove the bikes, 5) the Saris sticks out an extra 5-6" from the receiver, which is good because it will give you MORE clearance from your spare tire if you need it, but I ultimately looked at that as a negative because I want my rack to be optimal on other vehicles too. For example, my wife drives a Toyota Sienna minivan...and if she ever wanted to go bike riding with or without the kids and knew she wouldn't have access to my Jeep, the Saris would (appear to) be sticking out sooo much further on a non-Jeep vehicle because of that extra clearance. It would still function just fine, but that was more of an aesthetic concern for me, 6) it fits!

That's it. I wanted to post this and help anyone out there who is on the same quest that I was just on.

Quick Reply: Hitch Mounted Bike Racks for 2007 Wrangler???