Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holes behind B pillar

Old 04-12-2019, 01:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holes behind B pillar

Hey Folks!

I took the rear carpets out of my 2015 2 door and i was going to put just a husky cargo liner back there but to my surprise on each side there are 2 giant holes 1/2 filled with spray foam. I have seen only one post that addresses the issue but I am not bed lining anything so i fear with my super low skills that it will look very unprofessional. I was wondering what other people have done to fill or cover those once they removed the carpets?
Old 04-12-2019, 05:45 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

So, this is only an issue on the 2drs. This is going to sound like a trash idea, but I'm really scraping the bottom of the brainstorm barrel since it sounds like you are not up to welding something in place like I've seen others do. Do not laugh.....

What about getting a can of spray insulation from home depot, filling in the hole, shaving it or sanding it kinda flat once dry. You could use a joint compound to fill over it and make it look smooth, and hit it with some color match spray paint.

I know that sounds cheap as shit, but it's an option. Priciest part would just be buying nice color match automotive paint which is usually ~$20 for a full size rattle can.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Measure and have 3d printed caps put in place? The holes do look a little odd but it is what it is.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:39 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

<big sigh>....I'm wracking my brain and here comes Karl....."just 3d print something".
The following users liked this post:
karls10jk (04-13-2019)
Old 04-13-2019, 03:47 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

The school where I work picked one up last year for our STEM program and as part of the calibration, I had some defrost diverter pieces printed up. A little searching shows the 07-10 defrost vents up top suck and I was ready to go with Ronjenx's idea where he drilled a ton of holes into a piece of pvc and then I stumbled across the diverter pieces.

3d printing could be used in place of the metal step and still run with Resharp's idea of smoothing it over and painting for a seamless look.
Old 04-13-2019, 05:48 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

If I did it today I'd probably 3D print some snap-in covers. But I did it 5 or 6 years ago pre-printer. I made some card stock templates and cut patches out of sheet aluminum. I JB Welded them on and then bedlined the tub. They are holding up perfectly

Quick Reply: Holes behind B pillar