Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

holy cow, death wobble disaster

Old 08-21-2007, 08:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default holy cow, death wobble disaster

Ok, I had Les Schwab put a 3" Fabtech lift on. I noticed a Death Wobble at around 30-40mph. I hadnt had a chance to get it in to have them look at it. Today I noticed a change. I could not go more than 12mph and it would kick in bad. I got it back to the Rig and got under there again and the front track bar mount is broke all the way off! I am out here 35 miles of dirt and another 20+ to town and 120mi to Les Schwab. Im tring to locate a welder up here that can weld it back on so I can get it to town. Has anyone had this problem with the front? Will a heavier mount fix it or is it a different problem?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	mine 013.jpg
Views:	682
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	2891   Click image for larger version

Name:	mine 014.jpg
Views:	585
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	2892   Click image for larger version

Name:	mine 015.jpg
Views:	544
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	2893   Click image for larger version

Name:	mine 016.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	2894  
Old 08-21-2007, 08:39 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 08-21-2007, 08:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

yep its becoming a common acurance. do a quick search on here and you will find several people with the same problem, mostly caused by the relocation bracket used for trackbar on most lifts.

price we pay for being the guinea pigs for the jk'
Old 08-21-2007, 08:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by xravn
yep its becoming a common acurance. do a quick search on here and you will find several people with the same problem, mostly caused by the relocation bracket used for trackbar on most lifts.

price we pay for being the guinea pigs for the jk'
I've never seen a FRONT track bar mount broke off.....? Plenty of rear's though.

Is this a first?

Scary
Old 08-21-2007, 08:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had seen an incident on a rear and the lift company shot him an upgraded mount with apologies. If you look at that bracket, its weak and only 3 little welds, its not even welded on the inside, anyway Les Schwab is getting ahold of Fabtech to see if they have an upgraded bracket, keep your fingers crossed.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:16 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by troy_boy
I had seen an incident on a rear and the lift company shot him an upgraded mount with apologies. If you look at that bracket, its weak and only 3 little welds, its not even welded on the inside, anyway Les Schwab is getting ahold of Fabtech to see if they have an upgraded bracket, keep your fingers crossed.
I'm glad to hear you're okay and did get into an accident. If you can afford it, I would recommend ditching the relocation bracket, have your track bar axle mount rewelded on with a support gusset if possible and then get a new adjustable front track bar. Relocation brackets on the axle mounts act like a lever and will most likely pry the thing off again like bending a paper clip back and forth over and over again.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
I'm glad to hear you're okay and did get into an accident. If you can afford it, I would recommend ditching the relocation bracket, have your track bar axle mount rewelded on with a support gusset if possible and then get a new adjustable front track bar. Relocation brackets on the axle mounts act like a lever and will most likely pry the thing off again like bending a paper clip back and forth over and over again.
Let me make sure I understand you. Have the original bracket welded back on, remove the extention and purchase a adjustable track bar? Right.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:38 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by troy_boy
Let me make sure I understand you. Have the original bracket welded back on, remove the extention and purchase a adjustable track bar? Right.
Yup, you understand me perfectly
Old 08-21-2007, 09:58 AM
JK Newbie

Unhappy Not alone

You are not the only one that has faced this problem. After the rear bracket sheared off and I had it fixed by reinforcing it and welding it back I had problems with the front trackbar bracket. It happened on a Friday evening in the boondocks. I had a 60 mile ride at less than 20 mph to get back to camp and a welder. I have a skyjacker 4" lift. I called them and they said they had never heard about the problem with the front bracket. They offered to send me a rear bracket brace if I paid for shipping. It seems that these companies didn't really put their test vehicles through any really rough paces or they would have experienced these problems. Skyjacker said they went to Moab. We weren't on the trails an hour before we had our first breakdown. They must be gentler than us crazy guys!:sad:
Old 08-21-2007, 10:06 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by twillis724
You are not the only one that has faced this problem. After the rear bracket sheared off and I had it fixed by reinforcing it and welding it back I had problems with the front trackbar bracket. It happened on a Friday evening in the boondocks. I had a 60 mile ride at less than 20 mph to get back to camp and a welder. I have a skyjacker 4" lift. I called them and they said they had never heard about the problem with the front bracket. They offered to send me a rear bracket brace if I paid for shipping. It seems that these companies didn't really put their test vehicles through any really rough paces or they would have experienced these problems. Skyjacker said they went to Moab. We weren't on the trails an hour before we had our first breakdown. They must be gentler than us crazy guys!:sad:
I think also that maybe some of the pre or first production JK's that went out to aftermarket companies may have been beefed up slightly or something better than the asembly line versions. You have to think, that in all honesty, that Skyjacker and others didn't think this would be such a problem because this could be a very, very big legal liability and easily put one of these guys out of business.

Quick Reply: holy cow, death wobble disaster