Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Is hood lock possible with grille inserts?

Old 06-24-2021, 02:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is hood lock possible with grille inserts?

My 2013 Rubicon has Red Rock honeycomb grille inserts. I've been considering adding either the Bolt or Mopar hood lock. Has anybody successfully installed a hood lock with grill inserts? I'm assuming I would need to make a hole in the insert. I just don't know if that would be enough. Thanks for any help.

Old 06-24-2021, 03:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey Todd,

When I bought my 2017 it had what I think was the Rugged Ridge mesh grill. The previous owner cut a round hole to make the hood lock accessible. It had the BOLT lock already installed. I learned the hard way that it was broken... so be careful with that model. When I got it home I learned there was no hood safety latch. Promptly ordered one to find out the hood locked well but I couldn't un-lock it as the lock cam was sheered off and it would just spin. I managed to get it out thank goodness and have tossed both ever since. I like the idea of a lock just wasn't impressed with the BOLT. Probably a good design and someone really wanted access and broke it trying to open it. Hard to say.

During that time I came across several models that were already cut out for the lock. They looked pretty good and if I ever went back to it I'd go that route. Not sure about the lock though... ?

Best of luck. Head over to welcome and introduce your self. Good bunch of people here.

Cheers

Nem

Last edited by Nemisus; 06-24-2021 at 03:56 PM.
Old 06-24-2021, 04:32 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

As another option, you could look at locking hood latches instead. I've never quite understood the hood locks myself. They are more a hindrance to me anytime I need to open the hood myself.

Quick Reply: Is hood lock possible with grille inserts?