JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   How do you tighten a stripped nut/bolt? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/how-do-you-tighten-stripped-nut-bolt-216298/)

defierro 01-30-2012 05:29 PM

How do you tighten a stripped nut/bolt?

So I installed my after-market front bumper today. The bumper had 3 bolts coming out on each side of the mounts, and one nut for you to put the bolt through (I hope you understand). Anyway, I was tightening all the nuts and bolts. On one of the 2 bolts, I started screwing in sideways. Stupid me tried to tighten it with a wrench and ended up stripping the bolt inside of the bumper. All other 7 all perfect though. How shall I put on the bolt? I was thinking about hammering a little :sad2: Or should I just let my bumper alone on 7 bolts?

defierro 01-30-2012 05:30 PM

I cant even understand what I wrote! BOTTOM LINE, how do you tighten a bolt into a stripped nut!

defierro 01-30-2012 05:32 PM

Oh and it was the thread that stripped...

D_engel 01-30-2012 06:06 PM

You dont. You pull that bolt out, take it to ACE or somewhere else that sells grade 8 hardware, and you buy a replacement.

suicideking 01-30-2012 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by D_engel (Post 2822738)
You dont. You pull that bolt out, take it to ACE or somewhere else that sells grade 8 hardware, and you buy a replacement.

x2

Take it out while you still can and replace it. Don't force stripped hardware in.

OH9JK 01-30-2012 06:10 PM

Are they bolts or studs?

If it is a bolt just replace it. If it is a stud you may need to chase the threads with a die and get a new nut.

If the nut is captured inside the bumper then you need a new bolt and a tap to chase the threads on the nut.

Make sense?

Tonka_yellow 01-30-2012 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by D_engel

X3 get a new bolt

defierro 01-30-2012 06:37 PM

The bolt is fine. It's the nut inside the bumper whose thread stripped. It's welded on.

flounder 01-30-2012 06:40 PM

look up HELI COIL insert they prob have them at your hardware store if not you can order online.

rinkishJK 01-30-2012 06:48 PM

The nut is prob only tacked on.. I would try to use a chisel or air hammer with chisel bit and knock that bad nut off and replace it with another. U could try a thread restorer, or a tap to fix it, but if it's really gone best bet is try and replace it. Helicoil won't really work on a nut. It's more for threaded holes in say an engine block...

sliverGstoneJK 01-30-2012 06:48 PM

retap it if its welded on, otherwise if ya can get to the nut with a grinder, grind the nut off and either reweld a nut on or buy a locking nut and use red thread locker on it. hope that helps.

RHD-Manx2 01-30-2012 07:02 PM

You'll be good with the 7. Fuggit

defierro 01-30-2012 07:03 PM

Imma chisel the other one off tomorrow!

defierro 01-30-2012 07:19 PM

Boo. I just saw that the nut is inaccessible. I'll try helicoil.

Tonka_yellow 01-30-2012 08:26 PM

Retap the nut for a bigger size bolt

D_engel 01-30-2012 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Tonka_yellow (Post 2823041)
Retap the nut for a bigger size bolt

Thats what I was just thinking too. What bumper are you working with here?

defierro 01-30-2012 09:51 PM

Sure will. It's an xrc bumper.

wildandwillin 01-30-2012 11:36 PM

First off if you cant retap the nut to the same size and make it work replace it. In essence your chaseing the threads. Retapping a nut to the next larger size will not work. Look at your amount of metal that you are taking away.
A Helicoil is not designed to work on a nut and it will be ineffective for a clamping force, it will fail over time. There is a speciaty nut that uses helicoil designs for high temp applications. Still you need to replace the nut for this. I use this equipment in the course of my job. If i ever suggested that i would be the butt of many jokes for years to come.

wildandwillin 01-31-2012 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by RHD-Manx2

I agree with RHD. Unless your like me and it has to be fixed.

hypeiv 01-31-2012 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by RHD-Manx2 (Post 2822888)

yea this is most likely the answer. In my last car I did the same thing with one of the 8 bolts on the strut bar. The solution was to retap the hole to a larger size since I messed up the threads on the top of the hole. I never got around to doing that though and never had any noticeable problem

D_engel 01-31-2012 08:26 AM

Something happened to another young fella on the board when he was installing his smittybilt stinger bumper. :spy:

profebill 01-31-2012 11:44 AM

cutting wheel on nut. replace with bolt and nut and some washers and a lock washer.

fleetwood8890 01-31-2012 12:07 PM

if you can get the bolt out take it to autozone/ advanced auto and rent a tap and die set they should help you figure out witch one to use on the bolt. the nut will be the same thread size put the bolt in vice or vice grips and run the die over the bolt that will fix your threads on that if not get a new one. next use the tap and run that through the nut slow and straight you can use oil/wd40 to help and clean the shavings that will come out than spray the nut again with wd40 or equivalent to clean the nut. you will be good to go dont buy a new bolt and try running it in there it will be more of a problem later.

the kit looks some thing like this.
http://www.harborfreight.com/40-piec...set-39391.html

f3arn0FJ 01-31-2012 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by profebill (Post 2824044)
cutting wheel on nut. replace with bolt and nut and some washers and a lock washer.

x2

or duct tape always works.:rotflmao2:

FlameRedJK 02-02-2012 03:58 PM

If you couldn't get the bolt in right the first time, you probably don't want to bother trying to thread or tap a new hole. What you should do first, is go down to AAA and invest in some road side assistance, just in case you get a flat tire, because that involves numerous bolts with nuts that will need to be taken off, and could potentially be well worth the money if that gets screwed up.

Second, get yourself a hack saw and cut the bolt from the nut, so just the head of the nut is there, then go down to the store and get some super glue and glue the head of the bolt where it should be. This will make it look as if there is nothing wrong and no one will ever know the difference.

6...7...8...10 I don't really know if one will make a difference.

Third, grab a beer and sit back admiring your jeep.

SWRUBI 02-02-2012 04:08 PM

I'd bore the nut welded on the bumper and get a longer bolt but same width as the OE provided bolt. Slip the new longer bolt through the bored out nut. Buy a locking nut and torque it down. :thumbsup:

FlameRedJK 02-02-2012 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by RRCP08JK (Post 2828571)
I'd bore the nut welded on the bumper and get a longer bolt but same width as the OE provided bolt. Slip the new longer bolt through the bored out nut. Buy a locking nut and torque it down. :thumbsup:

Next to my answer, this is my favorite so far. Brilliant idea!

SWRUBI 02-02-2012 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by FlameRedJK (Post 2828691)
Next to my answer, this is my favorite so far. Brilliant idea!

I actually like your answer better. Something about grab the :beer: sounds reallll goood....