Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How do your Bilstein 5100's sit? pic request

Old 06-22-2011, 06:37 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do your Bilstein 5100's sit? pic request

Hello, I have a 3 inch TF lift with Bilstein 5100's. I bought them from Quadratic and told them what lift I had and they sent me out these shocks. The fronts are mounted boots up, I took off the boots and there is 7 inches of the stock shaft exposed when its sitting level. Is this normal? If 7 inch's is already exposed when I pull the disconnects how much more flex will I have? I think they sent me the wrong ones but I'm not sure. I bought them like a month ago but just installed. What do yours like like?
Old 06-22-2011, 06:46 PM
JK Freak

It will settle. This is what they looked like when they were just put on. They are much lower now
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2726640729.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	174368  
Old 06-22-2011, 07:13 PM
JK Super Freak

I have the TF 3" front coils springs and mine sets similiar to yours. Quadratec would have sent you the Bilsteins for 1.5 - 3 inches of lift which is technically the right shock. The problem is, the TF springs have been known to net 4"+ up front (My 3" springs raised my front end 1.5" when I swapped them in for the 2.5 BB spacers). It will likely limit your droop but if you have an auto, that could be a good thing if you don't want a front driveshaft to be on your to do list.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:01 PM
JK Newbie

I appreciate the reply, and the pic. It makes me feel better about it. I didn't know that you really get 4 inches out of the Teraflex, but I guess its a good and bad thing. Thx everyone
Old 06-22-2011, 08:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I would have to measure but I have the 5100s on 4dr coils on my 2dr, so I prolly have 1-2" of lift. Boots up in the front, boots down in the back.......but I don't run any boots at all
i was wondering about them boots.. are they supposed to save a little life or the shock or what are they supposed to do? by the way i live where winter is hardcore and lots of salt on the roads.. should i put them boots on?
Old 06-23-2011, 11:02 AM
JK Freak

I cut the boots off. They say they keep dirt and mud out but the down side is if you get it in because they slide off often you get dirt and mud trapped in there and with out the boots it will just wash out
Old 06-23-2011, 01:22 PM
JK Freak

why are some shocks u and some down? mine are fox and they mount the opposite way of these?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	shox.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	174558  
Old 06-23-2011, 05:53 PM
JK Freak

Cool

A higher performance shock has the rod facing down, which gives less unsprung weight on the suspension components allowing them to move faster since there is less mass to move. Not sure it will really make a difference knowing how much our front & rear end weigh. One more slight benefit is more clearance when off roading since there is no valve body to hit.

2 Cents from the peanut gallery

Originally Posted by 08JKRHD
why are some shocks u and some down? mine are fox and they mount the opposite way of these?

Quick Reply: How do your Bilstein 5100's sit? pic request