Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mods on new '13 or wait awhile?

Old 10-03-2012, 11:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mods on new '13 or wait awhile?

Ok, my '13 is getting closer and closer and I'm in between on doing mods right away or waiting a bit. I'm a touch hesitant to do full suspension/bumpers/sliders/tire carrier right away because what happens if it turns out my JKUR turns into a lemon? Now, I have no reason to belive I'll get a dud, but Murphy's law has been known to strike and I'd hate to put a ton of money into mods into a vehicle only to get stuck....do I wait a few thousand miles to see if there are any bugs? On the flip side, I'd like to believe if I were to do it right away, my takeoff parts would be worth a lot more as they'd be virtually brand new with only a couple dozen miles on them.

So two questions, really. 1st, should I be wary of doing mods on a brand new Jeep and 2nd, how much could I expect to recoup from takeoff parts being replaced by:

EVO bolt on coilovers
EVO DD long arm
Front and rear bumpers
Front and rear driveshafts
Rubicon wheels and tires

Thanks!!!
Old 10-03-2012, 11:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

I wouldnt mod until 5k on the od. im with you about murphey, the bastard strikes out of nowhere.

but get everything now and have it ready. worse case, yours is a lemon and they replace it.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:18 AM
JK Newbie

Default I wouldn't worry about a dud.

I can't imagine you getting a dud. I've had around 15 new vehicles so far and they all were good. If your not lifting it over 2.5" you shouldn't need driveshafts on a U. 200 miles won't be much different than 24 miles on a set of new tires unless you test them in a muck hole. I'm waiting myself on a 13 2d RUB. I want to buy the best system so I'll have no worries. There are so many manufactures it is hard to sort through them all. Everybody mostly thinks what there running is best. I'm not brand loyal. I ortdered the Red Cherry. Wish I could have had Mango Tango. WTF is Jeep doing getting rid of all the nice colors. Red is gone early in 2013. Gecko green is as bad as a color can get. Hope your not getting that color. If so I'm sorry.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My '12 was modded before it left the Dealership. They transferred my Rugged Ridge bumpers from my '08 trade-in and installed new rims. The modding continues. It's a year old and no problems so far except engine tick that will be covered under warranty.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would wait a few thousand miles.... just in case.
You can start with the easy bolt on stuff...bumpers,lights,skidplates etc.. that way some of it is done, then move to the suspension and lift.
The stock parts are not worth much anyway so the difference betwenn new take offs and something with 5000 miles is not worth worrying about.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:37 AM
JK Newbie

Default Mod

I would think you would be good. I have had my 12' has 10k on it.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:38 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive had my 13 for 3 weeks. I think you know my answer...
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120930_190920.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	373873
Old 10-03-2012, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

I would mod it the minute you leave the car lot
Old 10-03-2012, 12:46 PM
JK Super Freak

I went though a lemon law in 08 and was paid for everything I put into the truck. I basically had a free year and a half lease and only paid fuel and insurance! It's all about how good of a lawyer you get. I had my brand new 12' JKU modified before it even left the dealership this summer!
Old 10-03-2012, 12:49 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Tripletsi
I went though a lemon law in 08 and was paid for everything I put into the truck. I basically had a free year and a half lease and only paid fuel and insurance! It's all about how good of a lawyer you get. I had my brand new 12' JKU modified before it even left the dealership this summer!
You were reimbursed for mods too? Am I reading this correctly?

Quick Reply: Mods on new '13 or wait awhile?