Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How has cut there front drop crossmember off?

Old 01-28-2007, 06:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How has cut there front drop crossmember off?

it sounds like the dang thing is just there because of the strickt '07+ crash standards. Well any lifted Jeep is gonna change this anyways and I HATE the 2foot tall aftermarket JK bumpers they are coming out with so I was just curious if anyone has actually cut the second bar off?

Last edited by wayoflife; 01-28-2007 at 07:06 AM.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:06 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The only person I know to have done this is Brad Kilby.

For me personally, I really like a lot of the new bumpers that are coming out and having seen virtually all in person, I can say that they really look quite proportionate to the new bigger and broader design of the JK. Anything less (short of nothing at all or a look close to it) I think would look kind of funny.

But, that's just me and I'm sure there will be plenty of guys that'll hack off the lower chin
Old 01-28-2007, 07:24 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx
now the plastic air dam . .. well . . that's way long gone
By choice or by trail obstical?
Old 01-28-2007, 08:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well If I were to cut it off I;d run the normal Kilby front bumper instead of the one with the big drop down like the other manufacturers. I just don't like the 1.5'+ tall bumpers, I like clearance.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:54 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by stacey
Since we were unable to get an up close look at the skunkworks orange Jeep, we should ask Wayoflife if the front bumper on it was actually the metal brace that comes stock behind our plastic bumpers.

From the pictures it looks like it, with a quick powdercoat job and a hoss fairlead and a couple tow hooks mounted on it.

If it is, I think it looks like a great way to say $
No, it is not. What you are seeing here...

... is the AEV Military Style winch bumper which will cost about $500 when it becomes available. Also, if you'll notice, they just left the chin on and as mentioned, it does offer some protection for the swaybar disco motor.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Outside of the winch plate couldn't you just cut of the end on the inner steal stock bumper and leave off the plastic bumper to achieve the same look? Then attach a universal wench plate and cut the front out for the fairlead? Similar to Ilo's Winch with stock bumper

Just an observation, I realize that the $500 bumper would most likely be made of stronger components, but if I could achieve the same look for $150-$200 with the stock bumper I can use the remain money by upgrading to a better winch.

Last edited by rfrogman; 01-28-2007 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:53 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by rfrogman
Outside of the winch plate couldn't you just cut of the end on the inner steal stock bumper and leave off the plastic bumper to achieve the same look? Then attach a universal wench plate and cut the front out for the fairlead? Similar to Ilo's Winch with stock bumper

Just an observation, I realize that the $500 bumper would most likely be made of stronger components, but if I could achieve the same look for $150-$200 with the stock bumper I can use the remain money by upgrading to a better winch.
For whatever it's worth, LoD is almost done developing a similar bumper and it will run around the $200 range
Old 01-28-2007, 02:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Quadratec has it listed for $249.00 for just the bumper. It doesn't seem like it would be too hard to make yourself, pretty simple design!!! Which is exactly why I love it. Chris
Old 01-28-2007, 02:34 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by HDFFR
Quadratec has it listed for $249.00 for just the bumper. It doesn't seem like it would be too hard to make yourself, pretty simple design!!! Which is exactly why I love it. Chris
$249, really?? Could you post a link to it? I just tried looking and only found the big bumper and the skid plate which was $299.
Old 01-28-2007, 03:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah I like the simple design and the extra bar doesn't look bad, I think what was making it look bad to me was whatever covers it, lol.

Quick Reply: How has cut there front drop crossmember off?