Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to measure for bump stop length

Old 04-03-2017, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

wow and I thought that would be an easy replacement. I guess they will have to stay that way.

I upgraded to the 618 coils in the rear with new shocks. Can someone please tell me if there is anything else I need to do?

1. E-Brake on and wheel chocked.
2. jack rear up and jack stands towards the middle of the vehicle by the control arm mount.
3. Remove lower and upper shock bolts
4. I used a ratchet strap to condense the coil slightly and wiggled them out.
5. then install new shocks
6. torque settings to 55ftlbs

So I guess my question is that since I re-leveled the JK and it is sitting nice right now, is there anything else I need to do?

I can't believe what a better ride quality I have with the HD coils and new shocks. In fact. I must do the front shocks now. I feel as if the coils are fine in the front since the jk sits level now so I plan on leaving them alone.

Are the fronts as easy as the rears? If so I can tackle this over the weekend again and get this thing perfect. I am just ordering the same OME shocks for the fronts that are already installed now. So with the front, if only replacing the shocks there should be no other alignment or re-torquing of the suspension components besides the shock bolts correct?

Thanks for helping a newb wrench out.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

I wasn't sure how much torque to put on the top since I could only get a ratchet wrench on it. It says I think 26ftlb but that's not a lot at all so I just made it nice and snug.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3079885236.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	536.0 KB
ID:	669980  
Old 04-08-2017, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

Nice and level again. Thank you for those who helped on this thread.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-469964103.jpg
Views:	581
Size:	518.4 KB
ID:	669981  

Quick Reply: How to measure for bump stop length