Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

How to properly use TALL (30-47") jack stands

Old 01-12-2015, 03:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have all walked the line of safety but when you increase the height the more risky it becomes. Only advise I can give is when you raise the floor jack it moves another reason for the wheels when placed on wood with weight of the Jeep the wheels might not move this might cause the jack plate to slip off what ever you are under or the jack to lift in the back both outcomes are not pretty I seen this happen so if that is the route you are taken be extra careful of the surface the jack is on good luck
Old 01-12-2015, 03:12 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
The safe way is a proper vehicle lift or a bigger floor jack. On top of that, if you're not getting it high enough to stand around to work, then you might be better where you can sit around it rather than have to stoop to work. I've installed/helped install a great many lifts, and we either had the vehicle on relatively short stands (typically 3 ton), or up on a full lift with very tall stands for additional support. You can actually have too much of a good thing where you're having to work at arm's length while laying under the Jeep, depending on what the job is.

Attachment 591636
That's just crazy to look at. I don't think I would go under it. And with the ladders to get in?! No thanks, I'm good. Mark sometimes you guys really push the envelope...lol
Old 01-12-2015, 03:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JCDriller
Wow that's impressive! Are those pipe holders? This is what I was trying to figure out, how does one get a jeep ontop of that? Seems that you've got a hydralic floor jack that does the trick for you. Not something I considered or can afford. Also, that seems to be a nice location for jack stands, but not one I've seen anywhere else. Everywhere online shows the stands being by frame side of the control arm brakets.

I think I'm set on the 30" models, they are 12 ton and should be more than enough for anything i'll need in the future. if I need some additional height for my jack or stands I'll make some cribbing out of 2x4s or 4x4s. Didn't even know about this until I was googling late last night.
Be warned the the 12 tons are to tall, believe me or not but the 6 tons I have with a 4" lift and 37s I only go maybe half way up at the most and the 12 tons are way taller unless you have 6"lift and 40s then yeah you might need the 12 tons

And also of you get 12tons you can only use them on the frame so whenever you need a stand for anything else they won't work as where 6 works on the frame and the axles if needed

Last edited by jaker t5; 01-12-2015 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:06 PM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 14Sport
That's just crazy to look at. I don't think I would go under it. And with the ladders to get in?! No thanks, I'm good. Mark sometimes you guys really push the envelope...lol
The pictured JK is on a lift and the four red stands are used as safety stands to stabilize it.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:10 PM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by htm7765
We have all walked the line of safety but when you increase the height the more risky it becomes. Only advise I can give is when you raise the floor jack it moves another reason for the wheels when placed on wood with weight of the Jeep the wheels might not move this might cause the jack plate to slip off what ever you are under or the jack to lift in the back both outcomes are not pretty I seen this happen so if that is the route you are taken be extra careful of the surface the jack is on good luck
I agree. It's best to use two floor jacks and evenly lift the front or rear evenly vs. one corner at a time. My six ton jack stands will tilt if I lift the opposite side too high. I have two large jacks and four six ton stands and can get the JK plenty high enough off the ground for any task.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:26 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by JCDriller

Wow that's impressive! Are those pipe holders? This is what I was trying to figure out, how does one get a jeep ontop of that? Seems that you've got a hydralic floor jack that does the trick for you. Not something I considered or can afford. Also, that seems to be a nice location for jack stands, but not one I've seen anywhere else. Everywhere online shows the stands being by frame side of the control arm brakets.

I think I'm set on the 30" models, they are 12 ton and should be more than enough for anything i'll need in the future. if I need some additional height for my jack or stands I'll make some cribbing out of 2x4s or 4x4s. Didn't even know about this until I was googling late last night.
The Jeep is still on the vehicle lift. It is a 6000 pound, single pole lift. Its arms are under the frame rails. The stands are just for additional support, and can be placed wherever needed--such as under axles when loosening control arms, etc.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:27 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by 14Sport

It is still on the vehicle lift. Look carefully.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:28 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Ncb

The pictured JK is on a lift and the four red stands are used as safety stands to stabilize it.

http://img.weiku.com/waterpicture/20...71993728_1.jpg

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 01-12-2015 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:14 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ncb
Ah. Gotcha. I was focused on the stands. I can see why that particular lift needs supports.

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
It is still on the vehicle lift. Look carefully.
I thought the legs on the floor were the lift. I was wondering why they were dropped but thought maybe they were in the way of what you were working on. Good to know that you wouldn't support a JK this way.

Quick Reply: How to properly use TALL (30-47") jack stands