Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to run wire through firewall to inside cabin

Old 05-16-2014, 12:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to run wire through firewall to inside cabin

I just installed PIAA off-road lights on my AEV bumper and want to run the electrical on/off switch from the engine compartment to inside the cabin of the 2009 JK Unlimited, I looked but could not find anything obvious. Any suggestions for a clean installation?
Thanks in advance.
John
Old 05-16-2014, 12:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Open the doors and look towards the firewall at the top of the door opening. Should be about a 1/2 inch hole with foam in it, push a clothes hanger through there and you can pull your wire through. At least that is what is there on a 12.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:57 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by twotonevert
Open the doors and look towards the firewall at the top of the door opening. Should be about a 1/2 inch hole with foam in it, push a clothes hanger through there and you can pull your wire through. At least that is what is there on a 12.
x2 here's a pic on my 07.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2788876433.jpg
Views:	6236
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	553370
Old 05-16-2014, 01:14 PM
JK Newbie

Ours is a 2008, so this may differ if you have the newer interior.

Just pop the end caps off the dash and you will see a small foam filled hole up towards the top of the firewall. They're located on both sides. Use a hanger to fish them out and your good to go.

Another access hole that we used for the Spod that you can reach from inside the engine bay. You will need to back feed the wires as the hole comes out behind the dash. Located 1 inch down and 2 inches in on the drivers side firewall. You will need to lift a number of cables out of the way to find it.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

I ran my wires through the hole under the dash.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wire.jpg
Views:	3950
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	553401
Old 05-16-2014, 03:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sides of the dash with the foam holes, by the brake pedal there's a grommet you can go through, or buy a grommet and drill a new hole on the firewall
Old 07-24-2017, 02:27 AM
JK Newbie

Default Follow up question

I also have a 2008 jk. I see the round foam filled opening in the side panel, but where it comes out inside the engine bay is a thin slotted opening. This will work if running a few individual wires, but I need to get a wire harness with a plastic connector through. I'm running the spod alternative by Apollointech. Do I need to take the dash apart to use Method #2? Any other tips?

Originally Posted by Descent
Ours is a 2008, so this may differ if you have the newer interior.

Just pop the end caps off the dash and you will see a small foam filled hole up towards the top of the firewall. They're located on both sides. Use a hanger to fish them out and your good to go.

Another access hole that we used for the Spod that you can reach from inside the engine bay. You will need to back feed the wires as the hole comes out behind the dash. Located 1 inch down and 2 inches in on the drivers side firewall. You will need to lift a number of cables out of the way to find it.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ScubaSteve913
I ran my wires through the hole under the dash.

Attachment 553401
That looks like the penetration that would be used for a clutch on a standard transmission model. That's an easy one to get to and use. There is another one behind the brace to the left of that hole as well. I prefer those to the foam filled hole on the fender as things are better hidden and there is no potential for door interference.

Last edited by jordy; 07-24-2017 at 05:32 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:44 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Johns986
I just installed PIAA off-road lights on my AEV bumper and want to run the electrical on/off switch from the engine compartment to inside the cabin of the 2009 JK Unlimited, I looked but could not find anything obvious. Any suggestions for a clean installation?
Thanks in advance.
John
Not sure if you have already run the wires but if you look on the fire wall behind the batter you will see a cover where the steering wheel linkage will go through for a RHD Jeep. I ran my wires for my relay system through there. I will have to look for some pics tonight.

R/
Will
Old 07-24-2017, 07:58 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

I ran my sPOD wiring through the spot that Jordy highlights above.

Quick Reply: How to run wire through firewall to inside cabin